What are the most sought after WWII Purple Hearts by branch?

ajbUSWM

What are the most highly sought after WWII Purple Hearts by branch (AAF listed separately)?

Besides the obvious Medal of Honor/Navy Cross/DSC recipient, what are the most desirable?

To kick off the conversation ... here are top three by branch:

Navy - Dec 7, 1941 (USS Arizona), followed any other Dec 7th, followed by any Midway?

AAF (Future USAF) - Ploesti Raid or what are the top three?

Marines - Paramarine, followed by any Raider, followed by any Tarawa ? (or would it be Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, or fighter ace?)

Army - D-Day Rangers/Airborne, followed by any D-Day, followed by any Battle of the Bulge or would it be any Airborne?

Is there already a thread that addresses this? Just trying to understand the pecking order ... regardless of WIA or otherwise... just based on collectability.

Or would it have to be broken down further for Navy Air, Navy Submarine, etc?

Your thoughts?

(If this is under the wrong category please move it to the correct category)

I would say you list reflects be action rather then branch. The think the list needs to be more specific. i.e airborne, USMC, Navy etc. Price also dictates desirability.

To be honest I find this to be inappropriate since it seems to put a dollar value on personel sacrifice, as if one Purple Heart is less worthy than another.

If I had a relative who was KIA as a Marine on Guam - would his sacrifice be less worthy?

My .02

Bill

Rakkasan187

To be honest I find this to be inappropriate since it seems to put a dollar value on personel sacrifice, as if one Purple Heart is less worthy than another.

If I had a relative who was KIA as a Marine on Guam - would his sacrifice be less worthy?

My .02

Bill

Well Said Bill..

I am the caretaker of several Purple Hearts, one from Pearl Harbor, one from the Hedgerows of France, one from a hilltop in Korea, and all are just as valuable to me because I am telling the stories of those who can't anymore. A lot of folks focus on the iconic battles that are in the history books, but not the individual stories of the battles that are not mentioned, but those battles had loss and sacrifice as well.

My father lost a relative in Leipzig in April 1945 just 2 weeks before the war ended. His sacrifice was just as significant as other losses and even more because it was family and so close to the end of the war...

Every Purple Heart that I have is priceless to me..

Leigh

I collect groupings/uniforms and medals if they are included. So I do not collect medals individually and thus was interested in what is deemed the hardest to find medals by action/unit. Uniforms and groupings usually reflect the totality of there time in service whereas medals can represent a combination of branch, unit and single action/campaign.

So I guess pchepurko is spot on.. this needs to be by unit/action

If I have offended any one, my apologies. Of course a family members Purple Heart, uniform or grouping would always be the most cherished items in a collection.

Based on the above input, do we need to change the selling rules in the Medals For Sale Section in the Forum?? As not to not place more or less value on someone's sacrifice, must all Purple Hearts now be priced the same? How about $700 each??? (Whether it is named to an infantryman KIA in Germany or one named to a KIA Marine from the USS Arizona?).

Of course all Purple Hearts represent the same sacrifice and a life lost too soon. But is my great uncle who was in the 45th infrantry's Purple Heart "worth" as much to a collector or museum as a Pearl Harbor Kia? No.

The Purple Hearts connected to the most significant historical events are the "most" valuable. For navy I would say you are spot on Pearl, Midway (flyers), fighter pilots, Indianapolis, and maybe submarines.

Army I would add Pearl Harbor KIAs, and Malmedy.

Marines Wake, Makin, and add fighter pilots.

Coast Guard any

AAC aces

I'm not trying to offend either just being realistic.

Pete

Exactly Kurt! I must be missing all the $350 Pearl Harbor KIAs people are selling.

Wharfmaster

No offense take. Like it or not, the desirability factor is real. The topic is valid.

There are many reasons certain medals are more desirable and others less. This can be discussed rationally and respectfully.

The emotionally sensitive need not participate.

Wharf

The fact that most all of these medals tell a sorrowful tale and the sad fact if there were not a value...lots of them would be trashed or lost.The story, struggles and sacrifice lost to time.

The value in essence, helps save many of our Serviceman story and their legacy. We must always try to take the time and effort to honor and respect our valiant Americans.

Should there be a less of a value with a WIA than a KIA pertaining to the purple heart? To me there should be no difference because of what the purple heart stands for..

IMO

Chris

Great feedback - updated list

Navy -

Dec 7, 1941 (USS Arizona)

Dec 7th Any

Fighter aces

Midway

Indianapolis

Submarines

Coast Guard

Any

AAF (Future USAF)

Ploesti Raid

Aces/Decorated bomber pilots

Marines -

Paramarine

Raider

Fighter pilots

Wake

Iwo Jima

Guadacanal

Tarawa

Makin

Chosin Reservoir (Korean)

Khe Sahn (Vietnam)

Army -

D-Day Rangers/Airborne

D-Day any

Pearl Harbor Army/AAC

Airborne - any action

Malmedy

Battle of the Bulge

It took me while to come to grips with PH collecting myself, but I did. They are collectable items whether we like it or not. That being said, this topic is interesting. I would like to know what other PH collector's think about your lists. I know as a uniform collector the value for me is not based on famous units or battles or even rarity. I would pay far more for a documented 83rd Division uniform than I would an E/506. And I would (and have) trade a "rare/valuable" uniform for a "common" 83rd. I think for many there is a common baseline, but for some like myself value is in the eye of the beholder.

Bottom line - these inanimate objects are collectibles. Some collectibles are worth a lot. Some not so much. It all depends on availability and collector demand/interest. We shouldn't read a "lack of respect" into the placing of a monetary value on them and then buying and selling them. And, as Robert stated in post #10, our doing so actually saves many that would otherwise get thrown in the trash because the prior owner just didn't care.

dhcoleterracina

This issue comes up from time to time. I view the initial question as more of a numismatic question. It's similar to the fact that a beautifully engraved Navy Purple Heart will command a much higher price than an Army pantograph Heart. Their sacrifices to our country are identical, the medals are not. To an outsider this thread may seem cold. Having been on this site for years and knowing many here I've always felt that those regularly in this section have the highest respect for the medals that we are the caretakers of as well as the sacrifices made. It's just not always practical to begin a discussion with a comment about the sacrifice the medal represents.

Beyond historical significance of the action and rarity which defines the collector desirability .. availability plays a factor as well.

For example, say for fictitious battle/action 123 vs 456... both may have been equally significant historically and same number of men serving in both actions, but dozens of 123 medal groupings have been sold over the years while no medals have ever been sold for the 456 action. Those idiosyncrasies are not known to someone like me... but are well known to the dedicated medal collector.

That may be more granular than this thread needs to be... just trying to share my knowledge gaps.

Wharfmaster

You could add Purple Heart groups to POWs, Special Mission / Raid groups and scarce Navy Purple Hearts for Korea.

Wharf

Great feedback.

OVERALL - reglardless of branch

MOH/NC/DSC/AFC recipients

POWs

Special Mission / Raid Groupings

Navy -

Dec 7th Any

Fighter aces

Midway

Indianapolis

Submarines

Navy Korean War Purple Hearts

Coast Guard

Any

AAF (Future USAF)

Ploesti Raid

Aces/Decorated bomber pilots

Marines -

Paramarine

Raider

Fighter pilots

Wake

Iwo Jima

Guadacanal

Tarawa

Makin

Chosin Reservoir (Korean)

Khe Sahn (Vietnam)

Army -

D-Day Rangers/Airborne

D-Day any

Pearl Harbor Army/AAC

Airborne - any action

Malmedy

Battle of the Bulge

For the AAF I would add:

Schweinfurt Raid- Black Thursday

Berlin Raid - March 1944

1941-42 Philippines/Java

Any 1942 AAF action in Europe.

Army/Navy/USMC

Bataan/Corregidor

Navy

Vietnam -Any

Kurt

Maybe they are not available since it was a small number, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Doolittle raid for Air Corps.

Also, again, not sure if they are available, but I would think those named to people who garnered some celebrity status post war, would also be highly sought after if they ever did become available to collectors. Charles Bronson (Bruchinsky at the time), Kurt Vonnegut, etc.

Good stuff! Glad there are smart people on here.

Great point that early campaign medals (1942, etc.) are more desirable and rare.

OVERALL - reglardless of branch

MOH/NC/DSC/AFC recipients

POWs

Special Mission / Raid Groupings

Bataan/Corregidor

Celebrity medals

Aleutian Islands

Any flag officer (Admiral, General, JCS related)

OSS

Navy -

Dec 7th Any

Fighter aces

Midway

Indianapolis

Submarines

Java Sea 1942
Guadalcanal 1942

Navy Korean War Purple Hearts

Vietnam -Any