Big old US Marked Cannon

nbolinger

A friend of mine may be able to get this was told only 20 were made, i have no clue its US marked so i figure its military maybe Spanish american war ear?

post-9905-0-69692400-1459791024.jpg

post-9905-0-68370500-1459791027.jpg

Judging by what little we can see, this is a muzzle loader and those were long gone by the time of the SAW. All replaced by breach loaders. Yep, we sure need better pictures and some measurments to identify this .

ludwigh1980

That's what I was thinking, mountain howitzer, however I can only find where the originals (M1835 & M1841)were in bronze. This example appears to be in iron. Looks period what ever it is. Valuable beast if original.

What's stamped around the muzzle? You ought to be able to glean most of what you need for identification by looking there.

A friend of mine may be able to get this was told only 20 were made, i have no clue its US marked so i figure its military maybe Spanish american war ear?

12 Pounder field howitzer, m1841

Garandomatic

Very cool. Was just curious, but what's the law like on these? Are they OK to own with little to no difficulty (besides cost) because they are BP muzzleloaders?

TheGrayGhost

Now, this is far outside my area, but in the little research I have been able to do, all indications point to the m1941 field howitzers being made of bronze. This piece is clearly iron. Which leads me to believe that this may actually be an m1935 field howitzer or potentially even earlier experimental piece. The good news is, these pieces were well marked and should be relatively easy to identify.

There is a great website that explains the m1941 howitzer here:

https://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/12-pdr-field-howitzer-model-1841/

And the same author talks about the m1935 and the experimental pieces here:

https://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/12-pdr-fh-origins-and-early-models/

The most interesting piece from the later article stating "Ordnance receipts indicate nearly two dozen experimental types produced by Columbia Foundry (Washington, D.C.), West Point Foundry (New York), and Cyrus Alger (Boston, Massachusetts). Metals used included cast iron, bronze, malleable iron, “prepared iron,” and mottled iron. None of these examples survived for full examination today."

phantomfixer

Very cool. Was just curious, but what's the law like on these? Are they OK to own with little to no difficulty (besides cost) because they are BP muzzleloaders?

From what I have read...cannons are not regulated..however the shells are, cannon shells must be registered...but owning a cannon is legal unregulated....

Now, this is far outside my area, but in the little research I have been able to do, all indications point to the m1941 field howitzers being made of bronze. This piece is clearly iron. Which leads me to believe that this may actually be an m1935 field howitzer or potentially even earlier experimental piece. The good news is, these pieces were well marked and should be relatively easy to identify.

There is a great website that explains the m1941 howitzer here:

https://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/12-pdr-field-howitzer-model-1841/

And the same author talks about the m1935 and the experimental pieces here:

https://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/12-pdr-fh-origins-and-early-models/

The most interesting piece from the later article stating "Ordnance receipts indicate nearly two dozen experimental types produced by Columbia Foundry (Washington, D.C.), West Point Foundry (New York), and Cyrus Alger (Boston, Massachusetts). Metals used included cast iron, bronze, malleable iron, “prepared iron,” and mottled iron. None of these examples survived for full examination today."

Change those 9's to 8's. :)

Looks too big for a mountain howitzer...... hard to tell size but it is either an M1840 Siege Howitzer or a 24 pnd Flank Howitzer.....

From the length I am leaning to Siege Howitzer here's a link... scroll down to
siege Howitzers top is the Flank howitzer and 4th one down is the siege Howitzer....

htpp://Robensonsbattery.org/719215.html

could not post the link so you will have to copy and paste

• 3 weeks later...

Better pictures will be needed.

If it is real, it should be marked either on the trunions or the end of the barrel. Should have weight, and possibly a date.

Could simply be a GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) mountain howitzer from the early 1900's.

There are no federal regulations on possession or transfer of black powder, muzzle loading artillery. Contrary to the comment above, there is no registration of non-explosive ammunition or shells for breech loaded weapons over .50 caliber. Projos cannot contain more than 1/4 oz of regulated explosives, and if so, then registration is required.

Registration as a Destructive Device under NFA is required for any breech loaded, fixed or component ammunition weapon over .50 caliber, single shot, semi-auto or MG. Some exceptions from NFA registration exist for specific fixed cartridge weapons over .50 caliber for which no ammunition is available, such as the WWI T-Gewehr, 13mm anti tank rifle. FWIW

Garandomatic

So what you're saying is, I COULD have owned the T-Gewehr that was being offered by an Amishman at a swap meet... Granted, he wanted 10 Grand, and spending $300 on a Model 97 Winchester was grossly irresponsible that day! Fun fact to know, I wasn't aware of these exceptions.

• 3 weeks later...