Metal Wings manufacturing

Bluehawk

General question, maybe not answerable.

How many different manufacturers of metal aviator wings have there been since metal wings started being made?

Good question, and likely not really possible to answer with an exact number.

The "Wing King" once told me that he thought that about 150 or so unique patterns exist for the WWII pilot wing (cant recall the exact number but figure more than 100, less than 200). Figure another 15-20 unique patterns of WWI wings, and about the same for the period between the wars, maybe less. Toss in 5-6 large foreign firms in England, Australia, and New Zealand. Add to that the many of dozens of local "camp follower" artisans, craftsmen, and handicrafters that made stuff for the Americans in the China, India, Philippines, parts of South America, Italy, North Africa, etc.

Confounding this is the fact that some companies made different patterns of wings over their lifetime. Sometimes the patterns they made changed over time, sometimes they produced multiple patterns over the same time period. Some companies may have made very small batches of wings, while other cranked them out for themselves and other companies. Some only sold wholesale, others had only retail operations. Some conpanies only made specific types of wings, others seem to have made all the different ratings. All in all, a very complex situation.

But I would guess that between 75-100 firms made metal wings in the US from WWI to WWII.

About 8-10 British/Australian/New Zealand companies made wings for Americans during WWI-WWII

Likely about 3-4 French/Italian companies made wings for Americans During WWI and then maybe a few more during the Post-WWII/occupation time period.

Likely about 3-4 South American/Mexican companies made wings for Americans during WWII. I have seen a few wings attributed to Panama, and MAYBE the Juarez wings.... I have seen DUI marked MADE in MEXICO

Maybe 3-4 companies in the Philippines also made wings before and after the war. I have seen DUIs with Philipino hallmarks

The number of local WWII CBI makers of wings....would only be a guess. but 20-50 seems like a good number, although I not sure

that I have ever seen that many CBI patterns. So, it could be much less.

The Pinks and greens books do a pretty good idea of putting a list of most of the wing makers that are known. Also, the WAF forum has a very nice list of US militaria manufacturers.

What do other folks think?

Patirick

Amazing...

Lemme ask another further one:

Assuming so many manufacturers, at what point does the military itself get involved in requiring specs for size, materials, details etc.?

And, are there any makers who are "authorized" makers of wings, from whom DoD contracts for them?

Amazing...

Lemme ask another further one:

Assuming so many manufacturers, at what point does the military itself get involved in requiring specs for size, materials, details etc.?

And, are there any makers who are "authorized" makers of wings, from whom DoD contracts for them?

I am not sure about the exact specifics, but for a company to produce insignia under a US government contract they had to follow very specific rules and regulations regarding what they produced. You sometimes see collectors refer to "graduation" or "issue" wings and this is because these wings were made under specific government guidelines. In general, the wings were to be a specific size, weight, pattern and dimension. They were to be made in sterling silver, NOT have company hallmarks, and be clutch back. I suspect that some exceptions to these rules can be found, but I think this is a pretty well established fact. On the other hand, a company could make and sell anything they wanted and it was left up to the pilots to buy them (and the CO to let them wear them) I suspect.

Later, in the late 50's, early 60's, the Institute of Heraldry began to try to make insignia more uniform. The implemented an alpha-numeric coding system for companies and I believe that they started to standardize wing patterns. My understanding is that currently, almost no variation exists for wings in this day and age. When, exactly that happend, I have no clue

The very first military aviator badge of 1913 (the gold eagle holding the signal corps flags) likely was made only by 2 manufacturers. By 1917 the bullion pilot wing and then the metal pilot wings were authorized. By 1919, you most likely had 15-20 or so manufacturers making badges, but that is only a guess, as it is likely that some wings were "one of a kind" types made by jewelers.

In 1919, the Institute of Heraldry tried to standardize the wings again, with the "Adams" design. I suspect that since demand was low because the military had downsized, the number of companies making wings had dropped off greatly.

By WWII, the number of patterns again exploded, and that is why you see the huge range of wings and wing patterns. After the war, it seems that the more traditional Adams pattern wing and the more stylish pattern sometimes called the "pelican beak" are the most common to be found. However, by VN, it seems that the Adams pattern finally won out and that this is pretty much what you find now.

Of course, people can quibble and this in only a quick sketch of my impression of US pilot wing history.

Patrick

That is a very helpful history, Patrick. Thank you.

Do you mind if I copy and paste that in another forum, due credit being given?

Sure, I dont care.

P