'Field made' 1945 backpack

milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14

So here's an interesting piece I picked up at a swapmeet last year (I have since parted with it). It appears to have been made by sewing two general purpose ammunition bags together, and adding two cut off GP slings for pack straps. Who knows where the leather piece came from. Ammo bags made by Morrow Douglas and both dated 1945. Straps had very limited adjustability. A pocket from one of the ammo bags was kept in, apparently to provide some divided space from the rest of the bag. I haven't run across much of this "field made/improvised" gear and figured I'd share. Does this seem like something that really is field made, or is this something a civilian cooked up out of spare parts?

post-153911-0-20052300-1459652797.jpg

post-153911-0-72332800-1459652861.jpg

Looks like 2 GP Ammo Bags stitched together. Could have been done by the military or for the surplus market.

It's a surplus store special. Thousands of items of field equipment were modified like this to make them more saleable on the civilian surplus market.

El Bibliotecario

It's a surplus store special. Thousands of items of field equipment were modified like this to make them more saleable on the civilian surplus market.

As a kid I was a regular visitor at the local surplus store, and readily recall a gnome-like fellow we called 'Stumpy' (not to his face) hunched over a heavy-duty sewing machine creating 'collector' items identical to that pictured in the initial post. If I ever get my hands on a time machine, I intend to go back and urge Stumpy to legitimize his creations by changing his name to "Rigger.'