Model 1893 Godfrey Rigged McClellan Saddle

cavsaddle

I was fortunate enough to recently find and purchase this rare saddle. In the early 1890's the military was trying to develop a saddle that would solve the problem of adjusting the McClellan saddle to the conformation of differently proportioned horses. Previously all cavalry saddles had fixed quarter straps that made it almost impossible to adjust to different mounts. In 1891 Captain E.S. Godfrey proposed a solution to this problem He proposed that the lower quarter straps not be riveted to the safes but would be a continuous loop that allowed the safe and girth ring to adjust slightly forward or back during saddling and riding. Each side of this rigging was one continuous strip of leather. He had used this modification successfully with his own troop for 2 years. In 1893 the government converted many existing M1885 saddles to this system. My saddle being one of them. The system was short lived, as in 1896 the government with some additional improvements adopted the M1896 McClellan saddle. Both the 1893 and 1896 were the standard saddle used during the Spanish American War. Many collector agree that the scarcity of the Indian War 1885 saddle was due to their conversion to the M1893 system. This saddle is not well known to the average collector. I hope that this information will make more cavalry collectors aware of this very rare saddle

Best George

post-2782-0-26367400-1459460181.jpg

hbtcoveralls

That is a tremendous saddle, and probably the rarest of all the McClellan saddles. I was able to examine a relic condition example several years ago at a carriage auction in Pennsylvania, but I did not bid as the condition was just awful. Your example is amazing, thank you for sharing, If you don't mind, do you have a photo of the shield? I'm curious if it's still similar to the CW saddles or if it's changed to the later style.

Tom Bowers

hbtcoveralls

Thank you George, the saddle I saw a the auction was missing the shield so this is great, Thanks again for sharing this amazing saddle with the forum.

Tom Bowers

I dressed up the saddle with the proper period equipment. The trapdoor carbine will not be a permanent part of the display because of stress issues to the carbine boot. The feedbag was also left off because of possible stress to the coat straps that would hold it in place. Can't be too careful with leather close to 130 years old.

Best, George

post-2782-0-66338400-1459807668.jpg

Very impressive. About the only thing I know about saddles is that they went on a horse, but I sure like the looks of a complete set. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

• 1 year later...

Nice saddle. I have a 1892 McClellan saddle just like yours that I had for years in my collection and I am in the process of selling off my long time collection which includes a 1893 saddle just like your's and in as much as you just recently purchased your saddle, maybe you could give me an idea of what to price my set at. It's complete with MOD 1874/85 Shoemaker bit with the small rosettes it's complete with full reins and a curb strap as well as the head stall. It's all original and in strong excl condition. I would appreciate any help or opinion you could provide me in your experience in pricing it to sell or from anybody else, Ray

Ray,

The asking price of the saddle was right around $1100. It was purchased from a good friend that I deal with a lot, so the price may be a little lower than retail. There was also a lot of trade material involved so an actual cash price would be hard to estimate. It did include all 6 coat straps and an original M1885 cinch. I would guess that a realistic cash price would be $1200-$1300. As for the M'85 headstall, if it's a true '85 with original bulls eye rosettes complete with bit in good condition and solid "live" leather, would probable go for around $700-800. It's tough to give an accurate estimate without seeing the pieces. So these will be just a ballpark figure. Hope this helps.

Best, George.

Thanks George, That's about what I thought. I had figured some were between $1200 to $1400 for the saddle and about $800 to $1,000 for the headstall because it has the full set of reins. All is in excellent condt. Ray