Question on M1A1 stock and parts confirmations

davidwh1

I posted my M1A1 carbine that I purchased from Scott Duff in an earlier topic.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/263431-m1a1-carbine-inland-serial-number-404948/

I got some great feedback and remarks. From that I decided to break it down and get photos of productions marks. I am looking for some feedback on the stock markings. If I could get some confirmation on the slide stamp as well that would be great.

Here again is the rifle I that the pics come from

post-6058-0-59829800-1459277012.jpg

Pic 7 Mag catch - late - for 30 round mag which speaks to the comment in the prior thread that it was rebuilt during the Korean era

post-6058-0-36099700-1459277435.jpg

This carbine in its current configuration was not assembled by the WW2 Inland corporation. Without the stock proofs, it indicates the wood is probably a replacement, added by a previous owner, and the metal could just as likely have been a regular M1 carbine before it was put together in its present form. If it had been through a recognized arsenal rebuild it should have their proof stamp on the left side of the stock [such as RIA, SA, MR,SAA, RA, RAA, etc.]. Never the less, it is in beautiful condition and a great addition to your collection, congratulations.

Chuck

PS, "U.S. Carbines, Wartime Production" North Cape prodictions, by Craig Riesch is an inexpensive, good source of information on the M1 Carbines.

This carbine in its current configuration was not assembled by the WW2 Inland corporation. Without the stock proofs, it indicates the wood is probably a replacement, added by a previous owner, and the metal could just as likely have been a regular M1 carbine before it was put together in its present form. If it had been through a recognized arsenal rebuild it should have their proof stamp on the left side of the stock [such as RIA, SA, MR,SAA, RA, RAA, etc.]. Never the less, it is in beautiful condition and a great addition to your collection, congratulations.

Chuck

PS, "U.S. Carbines, Wartime Production" North Cape prodictions, by Craig Riesch is an inexpensive, good source of information on the M1 Carbines.

Man -

I feel like I just found out my princess is not good enough to go to the dance but has a really nice personality. :-) Thought for sure when I bought it back in 2005 from Scott Duff that there was no way I could go wrong.

Chuck -

Three questions:

1. - The serial number on the carbine is 485840 and the barrel is dated Inland 7-43. When I look at the production dates - the serial # for the receiver and the barrel date coincide to the same month. So the question is - was there any documentation on serial numbers that showed what went to standard M1's and those that went to M1A1's?

2 - The marks that are on the stock in the "well" where the barrel sits - do they indicate that it was WWII vintage or or another era?

3- Does it make any sense at to hunt down a M1A1 stamped carbine stock to replace the one that I have to at least complete the rifle - or is it good money after "not so good" money.

I will track down the book you recommended.

Thanks for the help by they way.

The carbine appears to have the narrow Type I barrel band, but the second post showing the marks in the barrel channel also show that this stock has had either a wider Type II or Type III barrel band. If so, the Type I barrel band was put on to "restore" the carbine to its original configuration after spending some time with the later Type II or III barrel band.

There is no known list of M1A1 serial numbers.

Inland was the only manufacturer of M1A1s. They were in roughly two "runs" during 1943. Roughly. My understanding is that when they had the stocks, they made M1A1s; the M1 and M1A1 carbines are the same except for stock. When no M1A1 stocks were on hand, they made standard M1 carbines.

I purchased, God as my witness, an M1A1 a few years ago. 700 bucks. I have the sales slip to prove it, ha ha. M1A1, 1943 Inland. It had been in my State before the laws changed and was legal to buy, so I jumped all over it. Is mine documented? Well heck no. Zero provenance. If it had provenance it would not have been 700 bucks. Mine falls into the rough s/n production 'run' for M1A1 and is less than 2800 s/ns off from the famous and well documented 'Batte' M1A1. But that means nothing except I can dream. I find the M1A1 stock really crummy to shoot with. With an M2 stock my carbine is an accurate little rifle, as far as M1 carbines go. I think the M1 was the perfect carbine.

I would not be disappointed in your M1A1 at all. The often-wished for 'list' of M1A1 s/ns probably never existed anyway. Nobody cared. War on and all that.

If it came from Scott Duff, I'm sure it didn't come cheap. I hope he described it as it truly is.

It did not - he had a lengthy description with it that I printed out, but I lost it and the description of the .45 i posted earlier in a fire. Luckily I have the receipts which was with the Carbine and the other firearms. I sent him an email last week. Scott got back to me and told me he lost all of his records of sale two years ago from losing a hard drive - By the way I sent you a link to your message box. Did you get it?

I think the upper stock is correct; the IO in the channel (Post #3) would indicate that it is an original. Also, the marks left after cutting the channel out of the wood appear correct. I would hazard a guess that the hand grip was replaced as part of the post-war rebuild but without a better look at the bottom and sides it's hard to say. Also, it's possible that the selector switch slot was cut out after WWII, whether by the arsenal doing the rebuild or someone in their workshop. Again, good pictures would be necessary to determine which.

Dirt Detective

The carbine appears to have the narrow Type I barrel band, but the second post showing the marks in the barrel channel also show that this stock has had either a wider Type II or Type III barrel band. If so, the Type I barrel band was put on to "restore" the carbine to its original configuration after spending some time with the later Type II or III barrel band.

This is the same thing I see..the stock had the wider band on it for a while. Just a reminder this rifle in this stock is considered an assault rifle in California...crazy as it sounds.

Dirt Detective

It did not - he had a lengthy description with it that I printed out, but I lost it and the description of the .45 i posted earlier in a fire. Luckily I have the receipts which was with the Carbine and the other firearms. I sent him an email last week. Scott got back to me and told me he lost all of his records of sale two years ago from losing a hard drive - By the way I sent you a link to your message box. Did you get it?

It would be interesting to read the original description. Do you still have it?

In post 3 ( pic 2) looks like the inside of stock ( right side) was broker away to fit the disconnector lever for a M2

Rgds, Mike

-Wow - that is huge help. Thank you. Based on those photos...Things are looking up. I need to take apart the stock to get a look at the hand grip. The barrel band is definitely not type 1 like mine and the cutout on my stock is definitely there for the M2 config as well as the newer type of mag catch to support a 30 round mag.

Thanks again - that was a great help.