Need Help With 2 Pins

reuscher

Hello,

I picked these two out of a coin dealer's scrap silver jar a long time ago. Since they are small, I'm guessing sweetheart pins from the WWII era. If not, what do they represent? What part of the uniform were they worn on? Are they for an Officer or Enlisted Man? I do know they are Air Force. One is marked coin silver and the other sterling on the back. Thanks for any help.

post-772-1220498859.jpg

Hello,

I picked these two out of a coin dealer's scrap silver jar a long time ago. Since they are small, I'm guessing sweetheart pins from the WWII era. If not, what do they represent? What part of the uniform were they worn on? Are they for an Officer or Enlisted Man? I do know they are Air Force. One is marked coin silver and the other sterling on the back. Thanks for any help.

post-772-1220498859.jpg

Guessing...

They're USAAF/USAF, officers pins... though many bombardiers were enlisted I believe.

They may be for collar or lapel?

I think the sweetheart wings of the era had different wings, which flowed downward rather than upward at the tips.

The all silver winged prop were lower lapel insignia worn by Civil Air Patrol officers from 1942 up until the CAP adopted the then new USAF blue uniform in the early 50's. You will find them in both pin back & clutch back and in the larger size like those used by aviation cadets on the overseas cap in the AAF. Many people write them off as sweetheart items.

You can also find newer versions of these all silver winged props that are clutch back that are still used by the Air Force Academy (unless they've changed their regs and dropped it recently).

Thanks to all for the replys.

Lastly, I'm wondering why such a small Bombardiers pin and where on the uniform was this version intended to be worn?

Thanks again.

Lastly, I'm wondering why such a small Bombardiers pin and where on the uniform was this version intended to be worn?

Thanks again.

I've seen them on service caps, collars and lapels.

Thanks again.

The small wing is a common variation and came in all the different type wings,pilot,gunner,aircrew,glider pilot etc.These are known as shirt size as they are most often seen worn on a shirt when no uniform blouse/jacket was worn.I have also seen them(unofficially)pinned on a overseas cap as well.

RON

The small wing is a common variation and came in all the different type wings,pilot,gunner,aircrew,glider pilot etc.These are known as shirt size as they are most often seen worn on a shirt when no uniform blouse/jacket was worn.I have also seen them(unofficially)pinned on a overseas cap as well.

RON

The "shirt size", was (and still is), the 2" wings. These little 1" wings (I've been told), were not intended for uniform wear, but were sweetheart pins. One school of thought was that they were originally intended for mess dress, but that uniform was not used during WWII, so I kinda doubt that theory. I also believe I've seen photos of these 1" wings being worn on overseas caps, but that wasn't called for in the regs. No matter what, they are a neat piece of military aviation lore and make a neat addition to the regular wings collections.