A Holder Of A CIB For Korea AND CMB.......

patches

post-34986-0-97369200-1459228008.jpg

CIB definitely from this officers earlier service in Korea as a EM, he goes to Medical School, oh starting in the late 50s, then winds up in Vietnam? Gets the CMB, that USA PREV MED ACT RYIS is some kind of Medical unit clearly, but RYIS stands for Ryukyu Islands, so some temp duty in the RVN? Maybe's the reason why he wears not Vietnam service ribbons???

Captainofthe7th

There was a member of the 3rd Ranger Co. that I just recently read about who managed to acquire both in Korea. He was a medic, so naturally awarded the CMB, but also fought with the infantry and felt he deserved the CIB as well. (I don't think it's undeserved). He spoke with his 1st Sergeant and managed to get the orders through the system, so he holds both.

Rob

I will look for the reference later...

There was a member of the 3rd Ranger Co. that I just recently read about who managed to acquire both in Korea. He was a medic, so naturally awarded the CMB, but also fought with the infantry and felt he deserved the CIB as well. (I don't think it's undeserved). He spoke with his 1st Sergeant and managed to get the orders through the system, so he holds both.

Rob

I will look for the reference later...

Yes but this guy only entered the medical profession in the mid to late 50s, way after his Korean service. The key here is that unit he has listed, and no Viet service ribbons. Not even certain just what was a USA PREV MED ACT unit, like what does ACT even mean, ACTION? Plus this unit what ever it was fell under the Ryukyus Command rather than a RVN based command, like MACV or the 44th Med Bde, a first I thought perhaps USA PREV MED ACT was some sort of MACV advisory unit, but RYIS reveals it as a Ryukyus command element. So the Game is a Foot.

He only became a doctor later. He could have been a medic who later pursued medical school - lots do. ACT likely stands for Activity (commonly used for medical organizations).

He only became a doctor later. He could have been a medic who later pursued medical school - lots do. ACT likely stands for Activity (commonly used for medical organizations).

I understand that, then there's the CIB, not really prepared to say he got both in Korea, but some exceptions right. Good call on the ACT, Activity sounds just what might of been it this title.

I understand that, then there's the CIB, not really prepared to say he got both in Korea, but some exceptions right. Good call on the ACT, Activity sounds just what might of been it this title.

Without any evidence of Vietnam service (no ribbons, no mention in the 1972 yearbook biography) the probability is something like post #3 where he earned both in Korea. However - his obit includes Vietnam, but that could've been after this? And how common would it be for a field grade Doctor to earn a CMB in any case?

The Pre Med Res=Preventive Medicine residency.

The Pre Med Act=Preventive Medicine Activity.

Look up "Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences."

Ryis might be where he did his Tropical Medicine training and internship prior to certification.

Without any evidence of Vietnam service (no ribbons, no mention in the 1972 yearbook biography) the probability is something like post #3 where he earned both in Korea. However - his obit includes Vietnam, but that could've been after this? And how common would it be for a field grade Doctor to earn a CMB in any case?

I think maybe this guy went TDY to Nam a few times? As to the CMB, alot of unusual things occurred, things that one sees the CMB on an Officer and one asks how, like Chopper Pilots, right, the Med Evac ones, a great many were Branch Medical Service Corps, not all but a lot, The ones from MSC all seem to have the CMB however they're flying a chopper, not performing first aid when the wounded come aboard, nor are they leaving the bird on landing and performing first aid or emergency surgery. Medical Service Corps, are there members who are physicians/surgeons? Don't know, but in these C&GS yearbooks from the Vietnam era, sees some non aviator MSC officers with the CMB as well.

As to field grades, in the 71 yearbook there's a LTC with CMB, his duty in Nam? Div Psych 9th Inf Div 67-68, now he has no prior service till sometime in 1956 after securing a direct Commission in 1952 while still at Marquette apparently, he wears no Korean service stuff, his National Defense Medal ribbon has no Oak Leaf Device for second award.

So he's apparently a Psychiatrist, yet he did some stints up on the line, or a FSB or whatever, and this alone rated him a CMB, that's the only thing I can think of. Other high ranking officers, not to be too cynical, but easy, same deal, even if they were not in Infantry Divisions/Brigades (Separate), just put your self in for one, or something like that, remembering that this was the period that it seems every officer who served as an Advisor, Even if he didn't hold an 11 Series Infantry MOS, Even if he was say a Ordnance Corps guy, who taught at the ARVN ORD school or were a Senior Sub Section Commander or something....... Got a CIB.

One would have to check however too see if Med Bn COs or high ranking officers at Field Hospitals, Evacuation Hospitals, and MASHs, MUSTs got any awarded them, the key here is to see that Star for second award, as they might of gotten the CMB in Korea or even earlier in WWII.

Might not be helpful at all but i have a fatigue shirt named to a STANTON who was MACV SOG in Vietnam with a CIB and a CMB on it.

He is listed as being awarded the CIB in '68 but nothing on the CMB so unsure where he got that.

He did multiple tours in SVN but nothing as a medic as far as i can see.

post-117117-0-14697100-1459427419.jpg

Might not be helpful at all but i have a fatigue shirt named to a STANTON who was MACV SOG in Vietnam with a CIB and a CMB on it.

He is listed as being awarded the CIB in '68 but nothing on the CMB so unsure where he got that.

He did multiple tours in SVN but nothing as a medic as far as i can see.

This isn't Shelby Stanton's shirt is it?

• 3 weeks later...
DocCollector1441

I feel a little late to the game here, but something to consider with the Combat Medical Badge...

Up until GWOT, in order to earn the CMB you had to be in a medical MOS (including SF Medics) assigned to an infantry regiment and treat casualties while under fire. Therefore being assigned to a Preventative Medicine Activity, would preclude this doctor from earning the CMB. It is most likely he earned it on a TDY as a Battalion Surgeon or Regimental Surgeon.

It is extremely rare for MSC officers to get CMBs. In fact I personally have never seen it except in the cases where the MSC officer was a previous combat medic and earned their CMB while enlisted. MSC Pilots would not have earned it in Vietnam, it was not until the last ten years that Flight medics were even eligible for the CMB.

I feel a little late to the game here, but something to consider with the Combat Medical Badge...

Up until GWOT, in order to earn the CMB you had to be in a medical MOS (including SF Medics) assigned to an infantry regiment and treat casualties while under fire. Therefore being assigned to a Preventative Medicine Activity, would preclude this doctor from earning the CMB. It is most likely he earned it on a TDY as a Battalion Surgeon or Regimental Surgeon.

It is extremely rare for MSC officers to get CMBs. In fact I personally have never seen it except in the cases where the MSC officer was a previous combat medic and earned their CMB while enlisted. MSC Pilots would not have earned it in Vietnam, it was not until the last ten years that Flight medics were even eligible for the CMB.

Thank you Doc, I know it's anomalous, but I have found in a brief look through of one C&GS book, the 69-70 one, a few aviators of the MSC Branch with the CMB, these will be your Non Korean War/non Prior EM. To throw one name out quickly, Major Mayo K. Ellingson, born in 1937, came into the Army in 1959, in 1964 he was in the 11th Air Assault Division (Test)'s 337th Medical Company (Air Ambulance).

He served two tours before attending the C&GS College, first one in the 1st Cav Div, after the 11th AASLT Div is absorbed by the 2nd Infantry Division and reflagged as the 1st Cav Div. He is mentioned in the Fort Wolters Trumpet newspaper of August 26 1966 as a Medical Evacuation Pilot, that would mean he was in the 15th Medical Battalion, he then is in the 498th Medical Company (Air Ambulance) 68-69 on the second tour.

So there's the anomiles, MSC CMB, as mentioned there's more to see.

• 9 months later...

Here is a uniform in my collection to a CMB and CIB holder. Earned the CMB as an enlisted medic in the Pacific during WWII, earned a Silver Star to boot!

Earned the CIB later as an Infantry officer during Vietnam. Theater made badges and patches, enjoy!

Travis

post-2876-0-62521800-1485755661_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I don't wish to take the topic off track, but I have a group to a WWII medical admin officer who was awarded the CMB. The full group is discussed here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/104447-70th-infantry-division-medical-officer-grouping/?hl=brennan&do=findComment&comment=1634180

post-203-0-59476500-1490809517_thumb.jpg

Patches, I wonder if he served in the Dominican Republic or on the DMZ in Korea. IIRC, both of these would qualify you to receive the CMB, but not have a campaign medal.

Patches, I wonder if he served in the Dominican Republic or on the DMZ in Korea. IIRC, both of these would qualify you to receive the CMB, but not have a campaign medal.

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, which Gates is not wearing.

Dominican Republic 28 April 1965 21 September 1966

Korea 1 October 1966 30 June 1974