IBM Presentation M1 Carbine

lkgmadmax

I had recently retired from IBM 2 years ago and ran across this IBM Presentation M1 Carbine and knew I had to have it to go with my 25 years of service click. I worked with the IBM Archives Department to figure out who R.L.Surface was and what he did for IBM and possibly why he was awarded this Carbine. He was the manager of the Electronic Accounting Department at IBM, his department sent tractor trailer loads of accounting equipment to the Front to assist IBM keeping up with the war statistics. Mr. Surface also left IBM along with 200+ other employees to help with the war effort. Not having any children to pass this piece on to this Carbine was passed down in the family and was sold by his nephew a few years shop.

f21b3edf5214004efb8e823bb1932e88.jpg38a2b946eb2cbf0a7b3ea48ea891895d.jpgdfe41388e72ff4a10ed8a0147e851dc7.jpg278c0d21699ee95e904f345601329cee.jpg61eba8ad24c5652f22988a95fa7e9997.jpgf704f3d1be1671bb860c3347ee286804.jpgb12707163d935f5f67d7d4116b7df151.jpg9abb2eae74071a0fe9810012ddf70896.jpg19f02c4aa3c4208248065f9175004e34.jpg48cd5f6053b224c1dcaa5fb091011966.jpg

Thanks guys! It seems according to Larry Ruth's War Baby books IBM only gave out 5-6 of these unlike some of the other producers which gave out large numbers. This one had never been seen before until the nephew sold it, the other IBM known examples have changed hands thru auctions several times.

awesome M1 carbine - that's a beauty - I'm a software programmer on IBM machines and would LOVE to get an IBM made M1 carbine!!!

Hyperlinks used in posts do not appear to work, maybe the forum Admin has that feature disabled, you can copy the link and paste it into your browser if you wish.

Charlie Flick

A very interesting piece. I enjoyed the IBM Plant photos as well. Most relate to the Carbine but at least one image showed assembly of Browning Automatic Rifles. Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Charlie

My regular IBM is close to this presentation IBM, my # is 3875564. IBM must have just pulled off a regular unit off the assembly line when a presentation carbine was needed.

Chuck.

Chuck I've been told that these presentation carbines were put together from a mix of parts that may have been either rejected or set aside for some reason during the assembly process. If you'll notice it's got a late serial numbered receiver that has the earlier M1 carbine sights on it, the bolt assembly is nickel plated but if you look closely you can see an X stamped on the bolt which I've also read as an indicator that the bolt assembly could have possibly been pulled off the assembly line and tested.

everforward

Chuck I've been told that these presentation carbines were put together from a mix of parts that may have been either rejected or set aside for some reason during the assembly process. If you'll notice it's got a late serial numbered receiver that has the earlier M1 carbine sights on it, the bolt assembly is nickel plated but if you look closely you can see an X stamped on the bolt which I've also read as an indicator that the bolt assembly could have possibly been pulled off the assembly line and tested.

Question: is the bolt a round bolt..? That's what it looks like in the pics...

I believe this carbine was assembled in about Nov.-Jan. 43/44. The parts that I can see look to be proper for this time frame.

Chuck

• 1 year later...

Today I saw another presentation carbine, one to L Lenox. It is for sale as I understand, and is in good shape with some marks in the finish. The owner knows the value of this rifle so no stealing attempts will work. First I have seen in person.

illinigander

When I graduated from high school (1959) several of us went to the Aurora Sportsmans Club to fire one of our friends M1 carbines. His father was the factory manager for Quality Hardware during and after WW2. His father was given a mint unserial numbered carbine which we all shot. I suspose we should have known better but... Several years ago I inquired about the gun and any other material that still might be in the family. Both father and son were gone but there was a paper bag with some interesting factory photos of trigger guard manufacturing at QH. There was also a typewriter copy of arms etc. made by members of the Chicago Ordnance District. I copied them all as I thought they would be of interest to collectors. And no the family is not interested in parting with the M-1. I bought one years ago for my Illinois collection.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Odd that he was discharged in 1944, about the time the draft standards got slacked and formerly 4F people were drafted after all during a huge shortage of suitable soldiers...