Restoration completed 1944 Cushman Airborne Scooter

Montana40

Just recently completed restoration of my 1944 Cushman Airborne Scooter after 18 Months of off and on attention. Started with the frame and a pile of parts. Fortunately the majority, about 90% were the original parts and motor. Motor was overhauled, I started it a couple times, took one ride and decided that I did not want to start it again. Now just a display piece as far as I am concerned. I obtained it from an ex-Marine who after retirement restored vehicles and Cushman's. He purchased it from an auction next to Ft. Lewis Washington and had intentions to begin restoration but unfortunately passed before he could get started. A fun project. I will attach a couple photos.

post-4195-0-45404100-1459181710.jpg

Not something I would want to ride to work every day. No suspension so does not miss a bump. Lack of suspension was one of the issues when dropped. Most were damaged as they hit the ground so were of little use.

hello

great , you found original number before repaint ?

if yes , have you serial number , date of delivery and motor number ? for study

thanks

olivier

Yes, have had some discussions on the G503.com site and frame number 34516 indicated 2nd contract Nov. Dec. 1944. Provided this information to the individual on G503 who has been keeping track of all of the surviving 53's.

It is amazing how many of these scooters are in Belgium and France but again that is where they were primarily dropped with the 82nd and 101st.

• 4 months later...

Where did you find period looking tires? I need a set of 4 for a WW2 Bomb cart. I think the scooter tires are the same size as the bomb cart. 6.00-6.90x9"

TMCA05, on 17 Aug 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

Where did you find period looking tires? I need a set of 4 for a WW2 Bomb cart. I think the scooter tires are the same size as the bomb cart. 6.00-6.90x9"

hello

not same , 600 X 6 on cushman

olivier

hello

not same , 600 X 6 on cushman

olivier

I have been looking for tires for my bomb trailer for a bit now, and the 6.00 x 9.00 size is hard to find. The original tires on my bomb trailer looked more like aircraft tires.

The only type I can find that are 6.00 x 9.00 are industrial tires like this:

http://www.ruralking.com/tire-forklift-6-00-x-9-industrial.html?fee=2&fep=6574&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CKWn2fuqyc4CFQqPfgodxS8J3A