Who remembers these vinyl flight suit / jacket nameplates ?

northcoastaero

northcoastaero

By the mid-late 1980s, the U.S. Cavalry Store in Kentucky offered vinyl nameplates for flight clothing. They were made from black

vinyl with choice of gold or silver wings and lettering and had clear vinyl fused to the front. I believe the Velcro on the back was an

added option. Not sure if they were available with two wings as an option like some of the leather ones. I only remember seeing

one pilot/aircrewmember wearing one of these during the late 1980s-early 1990s timeframe. He was with a USN VT training

squadron or USAF C-130 squadron? Has anyone else worn these or have any in their collection?

I'm not sure if I have one like you are talking about.It is constructed as you state.It has discolored to a state that makes it appear to be a grayish green hue.

I'll post a photo when I can.

northcoastaero

Thank-you for your post. I believe the all vinyl ones made during the 1980s would have the Velcro glued to the back instead of

being stitched? The USAF/Army had leather nameplates in the past with clear vinyl stitched to the flight suit / jacket or

stitched directly to the leather nameplate. Yours may be the latter.

I think you're referring to this style of nametag. I don't remember where I ordered this from but it's from ~mid-1980s. Velcro glued onto the back.

1980sNametag.jpg

More vinyl crap. This is from the early 1990s. Again, not sure where I ordered this from. Printed wing/name on very thin vinyl that's fused to some type of synthetic backing to give it some thickness. Velcro is sewn on. No clear plastic on the front.

1990sNametag.jpg

I remember some guys having the ones with the clear plastic over the top. Really looked like crap when it peeled away.