1902 US Army Enlisted Dress Blues

thecolonelscache

• 8 months later...
Guest whitebirch
Okay, now for the period I really love, 1902. Here are the 1902 dress uniforms for several of the branches of the army. I still need Commissary, Ord, and Quartermaster if anyone can help. Thanks and enjoy.

First is a Field Artillery Sergeant. Inoder to make sergeant, one had to be a qualifed gunner, hence the cannon shell insignia.

post-3995-1220484237.jpg

Next is a Cavalry ferrier (sp), for the 8th Cavalry.

post-3995-1220484335.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the insignia on the second coat is for a saddler rather than a ferrier. Great looking collection!

To add a little explanation here, I must cite the original regulations for this period's blue EM uniforms. Initially there were two different blue uniforms -- dress and full dress. The dress EM uniform was fsupposed to be for everyday wear in garrison, but these were pretty well superceded by the drab wool/khaki cotton field uniforms.

Dress blue consisted of the coat without the cords and the cap without the band. Full dress added these items.

Officers had 2 blue uniforms too. The dress version had black mohair trim on the coat and the cap band. In 1912, this was changed to allow wear of the full dress cap. The full dress coat was longer, had shoulder knots, etc.

Hope this helps.

G

• 2 months later...
OD-Blue-Top

I have a soft spot for these 1902 dress uniforms. I check yours out on this forum often. Please keep them posted as you add to your collection. You are my kind of Col. Thanks for the viewing pleasure, James

• 2 years later...

post-52851-1313230872.jpg

Nice photos of these uniforms. I bought this buckle and belt at an estate sale. I believe it is Coastal Artillary. Came with MVM marksman badge and the MSG (Massachusetts State Guard) strip. Can you verify that this is of the same period? Thanks for the help.

• 6 months later...
thecolonelscache

It has taken a long time but I have been able to add another branch to the set. This is a quartermaster PFC. He has service stripes indicating two "hitches" with the artillery. Slowly but surely the collection grows.

post-3995-1331402722.jpg

• 2 years later...

Thank you for sharing these examples. Do you know if there is one central work that shows good color photos of the enlisted and officer uniforms from this time period? I do have a book about the H.A. Ogden's second series of prints, as well as the typical bibles such as William Emersons' works. I actually asked him the same question and he told me he was unaware of one book covering this time period. If you know anything I'd really love to know.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this also a 1902 era tunic? It is similar in to the ones posted, but looks to be for an Officer. There is no branch piping and has General Staff Officer buttons. The union label is pre 1930s

post-129350-0-16940400-1419173716.jpg

post-129350-0-03718800-1419173726.jpg

While this appears to be military, I suspect it was worn by an active-duty soldier. While I cannot recall the exact name of the agency, there was an organization that ran veteran's homes in all of the states. I believe the veterans who lived there may have worn uniforms like this showing no insignia, branch, etc.

These still exist in some/all states. I know the Ohio Soldiers and Sailors Home is located in Sandusky. Its residents are indigent vets of all eras.

Hope this provides a lead.

G

I was thinking some type of veteran's group or home as well. The USWV uniforms are similar in fashion, but I've only seen them with the front pockets and the USWV buttons. What is throwing me off are the General Staff buttons. I thought they were discontinued in 1902 and replaced with Great Seal type buttons. I guess they could be put on a veteran's jacket should he want it to appear like a uniform he wore on active duty.

• 5 months later...
Jamecharles

hi all, what a wonderful topic ! i love all those branch colors on BD uniforms, i've a question for you about stripes on blue sky trousers for EM's

i know for sure that Sgt and cpl use the stripes ( obviously tighter than the officer's leg stripes) but what about PFC ? did they have the stripes? or PFC and PVT didn't use leg stripes?

thanks all Giancarlo

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
OD-Blue-Top

Wow!!! I don't don't know how I missed this, must have slept the last four months. I am happy to see your ordnance uniform posted. I was beginning to think that everyone had burned their 1902 dress uniform collection. You did a great job with this uniform, congratulations! The only thing I have left to say is, "JUST BEAUTIFUL" !!!

James

OD-Blue-Top

Pointed cuffs caused my fever to come back, so I dug out my 1902 ordnance dress uniform project and took a photo. I have been slowly putting this together over the past ten years. It started with the Ordnance Sergeant chevrons, and has been a long process finding the correct period items. It is kinda like buying a set of hubcaps, and then gathering up all the rest of the parts to build a vintage car.

I am not very optimistic about finding the proper dress cords, but the glass is over half full now, and you never give up searching.

This is a scarce uniform to find, but they are still out there. I think? James

post-5916-0-17791600-1522271401.jpg

agate hunter

Nice uniform pieces James!
And Pointedcuffs, great mannequin display and uniform! Could we see a close up of the Ordnance dress cord?

• 2 years later...
Skysoldier80

I know this an older topic, but I just ran across this.

on that Ordnance uniform what do all of the different color service stripes mean?

after reading this I understand the following:

1) white infantry

2) yellow cavalry

3 red Engineer or artillery

the rest I don’t know besides the correlate with branch color.

were there wartime service stripes?

I think that I even saw a 1898-1902 style army uniform where the guy was wearing white and marine service stripes (from prior service)

last question:  the row of three buttons on the cuff is a big give away for the 1902 style versus the 1898 style?

• 6 months later...