Civil War Unit - What To Look For?

I have been collecting military items related to my family's service and I think I am about ready to look towards the Civil War. I am absolutely ignorant in regards to Civil War artifacts. My 3x Great Grandfather was in the Union 2nd Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company H. Is there anything out there that would be marked as belonging to this particular unit?

DSCF0357.jpg

IMO, I would think finding anything from southern "Union" units would be pretty slim. Not saying it's not out there, but finding it is going to be the key. Perhaps do a regular eBay search and scour Tenn/ Ky. antique shops.

I have not seen things officially regimentally marked except perhaps drums and battle flags. Individual soldiers would mark things though.

double canister

My great-great grandfather, William Lacy Odell, served in Company E, 2nd Tenn. (US) Infantry. This was a very hard luck unit. Many, many of these boys became sick and died at Camp Dick Robinson. My ancestor was one of them.

YES-- you could probably find some photographs (CDVs/ tintypes/ ambrotypes) that are IDENTIFIED to members of that unit.

I deal in Civil War photographs and at shows often have folks asking for a relative's image-- while I have not (to this point) had any hits with my stock, I have been able to provide photographs of soldiers from the same unit.

It is something that you may want to look at. Additionally, you might find period NEWSPAPER accounts of the unit at particular times of service.

Scott

Thanks for the info. I would be very interested in any photos. The loyal Southern units did have it rough. Clark Patterson joined up in Somerset, KY. He joined after his son Ghastin was captured by Confederate forces and starved to death while being held prisoner. Ghastin was in Co. C of the 2nd Infantry. I didn't know if there were things like buttons or badges. So, I guess they wore standard Union accoutrements?

Brian from Columbus

Item belonging to individual soldiers can be found just as the others have indicated. Your best bet would be to find images (as Scott pointed out), documents (letters, etc.) and re-union (post war) items. Other items such as weapons, accoutrements and uniforms can be had, but take a lot of patience and assets. As always, provenance is key! Good luck!

To find something that was actually his, I know is a one in a million shot, so I'm not counting on it. A photo of his company would be awesome if it exists. Were the Southern units issued the same uniforms that were given to units from the North?