Medical back pack; list of contents

robinb

With all of the discussion lately about the large pack board mounted canvas bags that were used by the Medical Dept I thought some of you might like to see what actually goes in them. This list is from a June 1944 Medial Dept instructors manual. Of interest is the mention of four inserts, Item Number 97923, per pack. These are the zipper bags that all of the contents are stored in. All four must be identical in size or there would be more than one Item Number for them. I have never found one of the inserts.

MVC-150S.JPG

MVC-151S.JPG

MVC-152S.JPG

MVC-153S.JPG

MVC-154S.JPG

MVC-155S.JPG

Very good stuff; thanks for posting! Some guys refer to these as "Blanket Packs", but I figured they must have been meant for a wide range of uses as well.

Again, I wonder how many of these inserts I've walked right by through the years before I saw them in the Medical Q.M. Catalogue.

• 1 month later...

Not sure concerning the dimensions but this could be a bag that fits in the medical backpack......

Or at the least its looks like one...

post-161542-0-25662100-1462046609.jpg

No, that is a medical kit developed by the Army Air Forces in 1945 specially for sustenance kits. It was adopted as the TT-1 in the summer of 1946. I have yet to see a TT-1 of the original specification if they even exist, there is an interesting background to them and I think revisions were made with Amendment-A prior to quantity procurement and is why all the examples commonly seen are the TT-1 spec. 41036-A.

Smash is a harsh description just a technical correction as I like to see it. This unit remained in development for nearly two years and it obviously progressed past the sustenance kit application to being a unit supplied in large transport and bombardment aircraft through Vietnam, I'm thinking it still remained into the modern era as well.