McCord or schlueter ?

ardennes44

I've handled just as many helmets as you have

just to point out... knowledge is not based on how many helmets you've handled. you could handle all the helmets in the world for all I care and not be as knowledge as someone who has handled a handful of helmets.

THIS IS A GENERAL STATEMENT AND IN NO WAY DIRECTED AT KING802

Knowledge is not based on how many helmets you've handled. you could handle all the helmets in the world for all I care and not be as knowledge as someone who has handled a handful of helmets.

Agreed, and let me just say, my statement regarding viewing a lot of Schlueter manufactured helmets was not an attempt to sound cocky. It was to cement the fact that a decent-sized sample pool of helmets has been archived to know that a 712B fixed loop Schlueter is improbable.

Screamingeagles101

I 100% agree with Grant.

In My opinion, the best way to tell is by looking at the loops. The last one is a McCord.

I too would like to see the "S" under the brim.

If there is one, it would be very odd and definitely a unique helmet.

Best.

Hey Rich, good job you don't know what you're talking about....

;)

Glen

For everyone else you're all great at jumping in with both feet. I hope Rich proves you wrong. :)

Hey Rich, good job you don't know what you're talking about....

;)

Glen

For everyone else you're all great at jumping in with both feet. I hope Rich proves you wrong. :)

Agreed! Just read this thread from the beginning so, I'm with Rich and Glen on this. I'm sorry to have to rain on everyone's parade but, not every Schlueter had the rounded loop. This is why you've got to look at dome shape at the flare and the ever critical but, not always located Schlueter "S". Ain't it fun collecting helmets? Everytime you think you got 'em figured out, something comes along to give you a curve ball. ^_^

Agreed! Just read this thread from the beginning so, I'm with Rich and Glen on this. I'm sorry to have to rain on everyone's parade but, not every Schlueter had the rounded loop. This is why you've got to look at dome shape at the flare and the ever critical but, not always located Schlueter "S". Ain't it fun collecting helmets? Everytime you think you got 'em figured out, something comes along to give you a curve ball. ^_^

well he said it "has a very clear S stamp." so as soon as he posts that (which wasnt visible in the lot number picture) it should be fine.

Bugme,

Actually, that is what I was basing my decision on, not the shape of the chin strap loop. It appeared to me from the photos that it had the characteristic McCord profile of the rim.

Screamingeagles101

What gives?

I thought every fixed bail Schlueter had the rounded loops and the circular dimple welds on the seam. Never seen one without these characteristics.

well he said it "has a very clear S stamp." so as soon as he posts that (which wasnt visible in the lot number picture) it should be fine.

In order for that to happen though, it needs to be a Schlueter - which it is not. The helmet's heat stamp of 66_A exhibits a gap between the second 6 and the A. Meaning, if it actually were to be a Schlueter, there would be a faintly stamped digit in that spot. McCords often have gaps in between the numbers and the letters, but Schlueters do not. That would make this a 600 range fixed loop Schlueter. Highly improbable.

post-11015-0-23444600-1459301280.jpg

post-11015-0-29475900-1459301288.jpg

In order for that to happen though, it needs to be a Schlueter - which it is not. The helmet's heat stamp of 66_A exhibits a gap between the second 6 and the A. Meaning, if it actually were to be a Schlueter, there would be a faintly stamped digit in that spot. McCords often have gaps in between the numbers and the letters, but Schlueters do not. That would make this a 600 range fixed loop Schlueter. Highly improbable.

agreed, but if he says there is a clear "S" i dont know why 1 he wouldnt have already posted it, and 2 where it would be in relation to the lot number... I'm just a bit confused by the situation altogether...

Bugme,

Actually, that is what I was basing my decision on, not the shape of the chin strap loop. It appeared to me from the photos that it had the characteristic McCord profile of the rim.

What gives?

I thought every fixed bail Schlueter had the rounded loops and the circular dimple welds on the seam. Never seen one without these characteristics.

Let me be clear, I was not commenting on the OP's helmet that he posted because his "IS", in fact, a McCord. And, I was not saying that Richard's helmet with the square loop, is or is not a Schlueter. I was simply stating that finding squared loops on Schlueters is not as big an oddity as some may think and they are not all rounded. Hopefully I have cleared up what I was getting at.

As for the "S" on Schlueters, I'm sure most of you know this but, it can be found in many different place on the inside of the helmet and not just by the front brim.

Let me be clear, I was not commenting on the OP's helmet that he posted because his "IS", in fact, a McCord. And, I was not saying that Richard's helmet with the square loop, is or is not a Schlueter. I was simply stating that finding squared loops on Schlueters is not as big an oddity as some may think and they are not all rounded. Hopefully I have cleared up what I was getting at.

As for the "S" on Schlueters, I'm sure most of you know this but, it can be found in many different place on the inside of the helmet and not just by the front brim.

Scott did they stamp the S separately?

Squad leader

Scott did they stamp the S separately?

Yes. I have seen some Schlueters with the S stamped near the loops or without "S".

Dan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi guys, 

I have obtained this helmet and am really not sure whether it is a McCord or Schlueter. The helmet has got no "S" heat stamp visible (also probably because of the rust) and the lot number is somewhere around 332A (?). The welds at the seam are circular, so I am wondering what your thoughts are. Your opinion would be much appreciated.IMG_3304.jpg.08d6a11eb9f131b14454af91ee501ea6.jpgIMG_3303.jpg.a05d301e45d968eeb860031301e6fd18.jpgIMG_3302.jpg.409d1f919aac26ede6524bde3fbfca38.jpgIMG_3301.jpg.e9ecdac531e4216b6df1db91a7ee73b2.jpgIMG_3299.jpg.fbf5a8091490a5b5d18bd30d0ad1df62.jpgIMG_3298.jpg.38b55cee1d5a87eefdb830314534a9b8.jpgIMG_3297.jpg.08e5d91018c2e1197318e648b75eba02.jpgIMG_3295.jpg.3e2bb84e092348ec7bac14ad8ac98bea.jpg

1 hour ago, Jenk said:

Hi guys, 

I have obtained this helmet and am really not sure whether it is a McCord or Schlueter. The helmet has got no "S" heat stamp visible (also probably because of the rust) and the lot number is somewhere around 332A (?). The welds at the seam are circular, so I am wondering what your thoughts are. Your opinion would be much appreciated.IMG_3304.jpg.08d6a11eb9f131b14454af91ee501ea6.jpgIMG_3303.jpg.a05d301e45d968eeb860031301e6fd18.jpgIMG_3302.jpg.409d1f919aac26ede6524bde3fbfca38.jpgIMG_3301.jpg.e9ecdac531e4216b6df1db91a7ee73b2.jpgIMG_3299.jpg.fbf5a8091490a5b5d18bd30d0ad1df62.jpgIMG_3298.jpg.38b55cee1d5a87eefdb830314534a9b8.jpgIMG_3297.jpg.08e5d91018c2e1197318e648b75eba02.jpgIMG_3295.jpg.3e2bb84e092348ec7bac14ad8ac98bea.jpg

Its a schlueter shell. The font is 100% schlueter. The “two” is different from McCord and schlueter. You can also see part of the S between the 32 (in 332A) below. Normally the S will be centered on the lot stamp, like 56A will have the S under the 6, or 123A will have the S between the 2 and 3. Does not apply to test shells in the 210-227 range, that has additional numbers, like 216A7 etc.