Submarine Patrol Badge Amico

smwinter207

smwinter207

Just want to see if this is WWII and looks good. Also, was it customary to get all three stars with the badge? Or how did that work?

Thanks,
S

post-20483-0-63268700-1458953559.jpeg

smwinter207

I'm not a submarine collector, but I thought it was interesting to find a photo of the Capt. of the USS Pollack wearing his medals.

post-20483-0-09873300-1458960959.png

Depending on how they were issued, the pins were presented in a box with stars loose under the insert or on a card with a small packet containing stars taped to the back.

The badge = 1 successful patrol. 1 star = another successful patrol. So the sailor was on 4 successful patrols in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice badge. Especially with the riveted stars. A silver star represents 5 successful patrols, a gold just one. Most of these badges are WW2 vintage but some date to the Korean War- I think at least 2 subs had patrols designated as " successful " and eligible for the combat badge during the conflict.

• 3 months later...
citizensteely

Looks just fine (WW2).

Hello guys! I am very new to collecting USN badges and so I am asking for some help to determine if this N.S. Meyer submarine patrol badge is WWII authentic or a reproduction. Doing some research, it seems there are a lot of repros out there but I haven't found a list of what to look out for. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!post-161623-0-69288400-1469717289.pngpost-161623-0-86303300-1469717314.png

citizensteely

A few more pictures. The shoulders of the pin arm are squared and the hallmark looks ok to me based on the few things I've seen. But I can't tell if it's sterling and not marked, marked under a pin post, or if it's electroplate post-war.

post-161623-0-76367900-1469741931.png

Meyer, like many manufacturers, used a variety of hallmarks and variations in location. Usually you would see the sterling under the shield or vertically to the right (towards the bow) on this pattern, if marked. Meyer did produce another example where the sterling was placed on the stern, but that pattern had the Meyer shield on the bow.

Normally, I would say having stars with short pins would be a good sign however, note that period Meyer patrol pins should have a "sandblasted" type finish on the reverse, I really can't tell on your example with these photos. If the finish isn't as I described, then I would say its either a restrike or later issue.

Tim

citizensteely

Thank you very much for your help Tim B! That pretty much tells me everything I wanted to know. You are most helpful!

You're welcome! Here's an example of the Meyer version with the shield on the bow and sterling on the stern. You can see how grainy the reverse is.

I wouldn't say your badge is bad, could be post-war, maybe Korea vintage or someone who stayed in an picked up another badge.

post-50776-0-57171700-1470090137_thumb.jpg

post-50776-0-88281700-1470090146_thumb.jpg

smwinter207

Hey guys. Here are the WWII ones I have.

I agree with the 'no sterling' marking being a big deal. Definitely seems to be post war. But having a pin back is a lot cooler than a clutch back.

Sean

post-20483-0-41032000-1470090568_thumb.jpg

citizensteely

Nice collection, Sean! (I really like the riveted stars too. Was riveting them uncommon?) And I love the variation between makers and even within; it's a collector's dream and nightmare! :D

Thanks very much for the extreme close-up TIm. I can really get a feeling for the texture as well as the attachments. Were these welded on? I have heard that later on they were electroplated.

I never knew anything about these badges until now. Thank you guys for opening my eyes to these! I think I'll be setting aside a little more in my collector's budget...

smwinter207

Nice collection, Sean! (I really like the riveted stars too. Was riveting them uncommon?) And I love the variation between makers and even within; it's a collector's dream and nightmare! :D

Thanks very much for the extreme close-up TIm. I can really get a feeling for the texture as well as the attachments. Were these welded on? I have heard that later on they were electroplated.

I never knew anything about these badges until now. Thank you guys for opening my eyes to these! I think I'll be setting aside a little more in my collector's budget...

Thanks man. I never collected sub items, but my brother challenged me and here we go. It's strange, but you can grab a nice badge online if you are patient. These are going for (sometimes) less than AAF wings, which are sooooo much more plentiful. Not many submariners out there vs infantry and AAF..

smwinter207

Just for your information, the third badge from the top is one I bought from a guy in London. It's got a great look. No stars though.