M1 Carbine question !

doughboy

Hello everybody,

I have a question about the handguard for the M1 Carbine.Can anybody of you tell me,was the ventilated metal handguard ever used by the US Army ? Thank you in advance for your help and happy easter holidays to all of you.

doughboy

Garandomatic

Totally aftermarket, as far as I have ever read. Even the 'Nam used ones that were chopped up and customized had wood, I think, in every picture I have ever seen.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-25014600-1458946338.jpg

Special Forces Advisor using a Plainfield Machine Company "paratrooper" model that was sold to Vietnamese security forces.

So technically yes.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Great picture. I bet that's an M-2.

post-153751-0-29094100-1459009109.jpg

It's a commercially produced Plainfield Machine Company "paratrooper" model carbine.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I saw that. I was meaning that it was automatic instead of semi. Were they auto's?

My bad, I am not sure, I have read plainfield made M2 Carbines for export only, this one might be or may be an M1, I have very little knowledge of guns and all of my knowledge of this gun and the picture came form the internet.

firefighter

My bad, I am not sure, I have read plainfield made M2 Carbines for export only, this one might be or may be an M1, I have very little knowledge of guns and all of my knowledge of this gun and the picture came form the internet.

No problem. I should have been more specific.

It is a great looking weapon.I had an Irver-Johnson M-1 carbine with telescopic stock. Wish I still had it.Looked like the one below. It was ugly but nice.

20764_20100427193435_1.jpg

firefighter

I found this.

The Paratrooper Carbine

The only difference between the Paratrooper models and the Military models was the stock. The stock was designed and used by Plainfield Machine for many years and inherited by Iver Johnson when they acquired the assets of Plainfield Machine. Although the Paratrooper model was offered in the brochures of Iver Johnson after the company was relocated to Jacksonville, AR in 1983 very few were actually manufactured and sold in Arkansas. By 1984 this model had been discontinued. This model was also referred to as Iver Johnson's Plainfield Paratrooper carbine.

The stocks were made of walnut and by the end of their production were prone to cracking. Whatever was changed that caused the stocks to fail is unknown. Most of the paratrooper stocks manufactured by Plainfield did not have this problem.

This model was offered primarily in semi-auto though a select fire version was marketed and sold to law enforcement and foreign governments. For law enforcement and foreign governments it was also available with a 12" barrel in place of the standard 18" barrel.

• 4 years later...

The M1 can easily be converted to M2 by replacing/adding 7 parts connected to the trigger housing assembly.  Many pictures show Advisors carrying M1/M2 select-fire carbines.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if those Plainfields were MACV procured for clandestine purposes? Thats the first time Ive seen a pic like that.