Thrift store tiger stripe: cryptic numbers & silkscreen warning

Bob Hudson

The cryptic numbers written in shirt collar and trousers waist area look intriguing, but there is a rubber stamped warning about the need to take care of silkscreened cotton. I feeling like these had the potential to be something real, until I came across the silk screen warning.

My camera has problems but I grabbed a few semi-in-focus photos and a few not so clear. The trousers have a pocket at the left knee and waist tabs in the back. The shirt has cuff buttons.

1.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

I think these are the tigers that a company out in the Valley, Sherwood International or something like that, sold in the 80's.

I want to say that based on the brown color and fuzziness of the pattern that these were made from a cloth from the Philippines at the time, but I could be wrong on that.

I want to say that based on the brown color and fuzziness of the pattern that these were made from a cloth from the Philippines at the time, but I could be wrong on that.

They almost feel like flannel, which explains some of the fuzziness. Normally i would not pick up something like this, but the writing in the pants and shirt intrigued me. This "date" on the pants does not look like it was written by someone trained to write in the US.

5.jpg

I recently saw a vintage guns & ammo ( or something along those line ) advertising Asian tiger stripes " as worn in Vietnam " I wonder if these are those.

They almost feel like flannel, which explains some of the fuzziness. Normally i would not pick up something like this, but the writing in the pants and shirt intrigued me. This "date" on the pants does not look like it was written by someone trained to write in the US.

attachicon.gif5.jpg

Keep in mind there were heavier weights of Tiger Stripe. I had a one piece flight suit that was not quite as heavy as this, but noticeably heavier than the shirts you normally find.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Bob Hudson

Hi, I would like to sale the set can you give me a estimation for the price.

Thanks

Another member bought them for about what I paid for them - around $20.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the shirt and its stamped in black ink Made in Thailand as well as a thin white looped woven label just above it in the centre back collar which I imagine was applied for export purposes.