Since when do the Army paint vehicles...

Proud Kraut

Military vehicles are not my focus of interest so maybe you can help me out here. I have a 9th Div yearbook(let) from 1966/1967 when they served in Vietnam. Depicted is a M 113 ACAV ? painted with camo colors. I thought that U.S.Army introduced camo paints for vehicles long after Vietnam.

Thanks a lot

Lars

ACAV3.JPG

I pulled out my copy of Jim Mesko's Armor in Vietnam: A Pictorial History.

http://www.amazon.com/Armor-Vietnam-Pictor...8505&sr=1-1

There are about a half of dozen photos of camouflaged US tanks and M-113's shown throughout the war years.

But the author notes that camouflage was not common, and also not very effective.

It's lack of effectiveness was probably due to the dust and mud that tended to coat the outside of the armored vehicles, depending on the season. From the photos from the period, these tended to

cover the vehicle in a single shade, making the camo pattern impossible to see.

The ARVN on the other hand used camouflage since the early 1960's.

All of the US vehicles appear to be painted either based on local taste, or an imitation of ARVN patterns.

All of these were "non-standard" patterns, applied by individual units and crews.

As far as when did the US Army adapt a standardized camouflage scheme, I believe it was 1976.

Buried in my archives is US Army Technical Bulletin TB 43-0209, Color, Marking, and Camouflage Painting of Military Vehicles, Construction Equipment, and Materials Handling Equipment. It is dated October 1976 and it superseded TB-746-93-1 from October 1964. The 1964 edition most likely did not have camouflage schemes, but rather the OD with white lettering so familiar of the Cold War.

By the way, these Technical Bulletins are a treasure trove for model makers who are trying to get all of the color ratios and patterns just right. There are also equivilant publications for painting USAF aircraft.

Gil, thank you very much for this comprehensive information! "Based on local taste..." was my guess too because of the missing star an numbers, but I was not sure.

Let me add another pic from this booklet showing a tank used far away from everything I have learned about armor tactics... :blink:

Lars

M48a.JPG

Let me add another pic from this booklet showing a tank used far away from everything I have learned about armor tactics... :blink:

Lars

There was actually a fair amount of armor use in the jungle.

The NVA used tanks (kindof) to break the perimeter of Lang Vei.

There was actually a fair amount of armor use in the jungle.

Very true. General Donn A. Starry's "Armored Combat in Vietnam" is the best book I've read on the subject. He commanded the 11th ACR from 1969-70.