Johnson knives

siclfde

Thought I'd throw this out for perusal. The top one is the one shown on page 79 of Cole I. Ostensibly this is the knife that Howard Cole saw that inspired him to make his own knuckle knives. Made by a GF Johnson in Birmingham. I think the sheath is either a Blackhorse or a Cole made.

The bottom knife is another made by Johnson. Same handle. It has "H ? Riddle" scratched into the handle. The pommel is a golf ball size hung of iron and the sheath is made with a slit n the leather so it fits over the ball.

Only two I have ever seen. Anyone else have one??

post-8804-0-75691000-1458764597.jpg

post-8804-0-46820800-1458764616.jpg

IMHO UGLY!

I agree - ugly as sin. I think that is why Cole thought he could make a better one. The sheaths, however, are top notch.

I may have one made by the same person. The way the brass is "melted" across the knucks is very similar, especially on your second example. The one I have is unmarked as far as I can see. The blade is 10 3/4" and made from either a bayonet or sword blade. Overall length is 15 1/2". I didn't include a picture of it, but it has a well made leather scabbard, which was specifically made for this knife. I'm sure this style of construction was probably done by numerous knife makers, but you have to admit, the handle style of your second knife and the one I have look very similar.

post-92846-0-60840300-1458779376.jpeg

post-92846-0-59150100-1458779402.jpeg

Frank Trzaska

Having held both at the show this past weekend they are really amazing works that the maker had an idea in his head and worked it out in metal. He really needs more practice! The sheaths on the other hand were well made and utilitarian in design.

Very cool pieces to see and play with, thanks for bringing them.

All the best

Frank Trzaska