NOAA solves disappearance mystery of USS Conestoga in 1921

Salvage Sailor

Well done ! Rest in peace.

Now, they need to locate Cyclops.

Wharf

Cyclops is on Planet X.

The Meatcan

Amazing after all these decades, the Conestoga is finally found. Mindboggling that after all the intense searching at that time taking place around Hawaii and later Mexico, the wreck was located so close to Conestoga's port of departure.

Terry

RustyCanteen

Amazing after all these decades, the Conestoga is finally found. Mindboggling that after all the intense searching at that time taking place around Hawaii and later Mexico, the wreck was located so close to Conestoga's port of departure.

Terry

If I remember the facts correctly, the Navy didn't seem to notice the ship was truly 'missing' until a few weeks had passed. I want to say that there was a miscommunication between commands that caused them to think it was safely in port. I do recall that a relative of one of the crew asked about the status of the ship, and was told nothing was amiss; only to find out that the ship was indeed missing after-all. I think very little was found that was considered to be from the ship during the original search; a whaleboat with bearing the letter 'C' was found adrift.

RC