M1917A1 Kelly Helmet early variation?

oldabewla

I posted this photo of Captain Dick and one of the forum members pointed out that the M1917A1 Kelly Helmet Dick is wearing in the photo has the two rivet on short chin strap hook side and not is the sewn type as always encountered now I'm trying to find out more about it? I looked on ebay and goggled and nothing showed up with this rivet type style?

post-7997-0-09477700-1458700299.jpg

post-7997-0-59299800-1458700344.jpg

One other thing the chin straps look to be sewn to the helmet loops and not to the liner loops

as i stated on the other post, it could be an illusion because he has them looped through the bales as is normal for m1917a1 helmets... which can be seen in the picture i posted above

It is the 1934-36 version of the liner. Two variants exist: One version where all attachments are rivets and a latter one which still has rivets on the hook release strap but both straps are box stitched to the liner frame. This liner was issued as an upgrade kit for the M1917. After the WWI liner was removed from the helmet and this liner assembly was installed, the helmet became the M-1917A1. The chinstraps were integrated into the liner assembly and were not attached directly to the steel helmet itself. The straps were thread through the existing loops of the helmet body to add stability.