Trying to ID a hunk o' aircraft

Mr.Jerry

10 points for suggesting the ("duh") data plate...

I think we have a winner! SH-3D

thanks for everyone's help on this!

Anyone have and pics of this piece on there?

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

northcoastaero

From my reference materials, the manufacturing of the Sikorsky SH-3D Sea King began during 1966. I believe the inspection date

on your data plate looks like 1968 or 1969. Bureau numbers include: 152139; 15269-152713; 153532-153537; 154100-154123; 156483-

The paint is possibly engine gray (FS 16081) possibly with insignia red (FS 11136) on the tip. The red could indicate the

squadron. The early SH-3s were painted this way and then repainted light gull gray/white during the mid 1960s.

USN helicopter squadrons during 1969 include: HS-1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,11 and HC-1,2,4,5,6,7.

Nice item! Hope the info helps.

LOL. Off of an SH-3!

When I replied the other day I thought it might have come off of an SH-3, but after doing a quick Google image search to double-check, I noticed that the horizontal stabilizer on the tail of the SH-3s I was seeing was a bit longer, more narrow, and had a more pronounced wedge shape. In other words, it wasn't a match for the part you have. In fact, this is the type of stabilizer shown in post #30 & #33 (with the supporting strut attached to the bottom).

It appears that earlier SH-3 birds were equipped with the same style stabilizer as the one you have, with the wider shape and larger tip. This is the type of stabilizer shown in the picture in post #28.

Definitely an awesome item to mount to the wall of the man cave!

phantomfixer

way cool!!! hang it from ceiling in a slight nose down so you can see the star? or mount to wall and use a bar top...nice

Thanks Guys!

The lack of stabilizer bar and the antenna wires also vexed me.

This one will be a "shop decorator" for our Military Shop. Now I just need to find some room...

If you ever get near Milwaukee, stop by and see it!

nice, that was bugging me.the cable runners on it are deceiving

must be for antenna's

sh-3h_01_of_38.jpg

Those are not antennas, those are static discharge wicks, they are used to dissipate the static build up on the aircraft while in flight.

Chris