Trying to ID a hunk o' aircraft

Mr.Jerry

I picked this up, the guy I got it from said it was from a helicopter, but others have since said it was from a 1950's navy Aircraft wing tips of some sort. Either way its cool!

Any ideas?

Thanks for any assistance!

IMG_2529.JPG

My first thoughts are that it is for an early jet such as the FH-1 Phantom or early F2H Bansee without the tip tanks. Both aircraft had rather straight wings like yours.

What does the end look like where it attaches to the aircraft? Does it have wing folding mechanism, or has it been cut from the wing, or ??? What is the size of this piece?

If you can find any data plates or part numbers that can often help determine the airframe.

I think the helicopter rear stabilizer makes sense. There is no sign of an elevator and the no step stencils where they are suggest it's the horizontal stabilizer from the tail of a Navy copter

Infidelparatrooper

Looks very similar to a P-51 Mustang wing tip. Star is in the right spot and the tip is painted much like some aircraft I have seen.

Almost positive it's off a Huey now. Look at the shape of the horizontal tail on this Huey. What you have as the top of the wing is actually the bottom with the ID for ground troops to see.

post-68384-0-93335400-1458704115.jpg

Almost positive it's off a Huey now. Look at the shape of the horizontal tail on this Huey. What you have as the top of the wing is actually the bottom with the ID for ground troops to see.

Actually, I think it is the top. Notice how it is marked "No Step". That would seem to be unlikely for being on the bottom of the piece.

If I recall I think I have seen Navy helicopters with the star and bar facing upwards on the rear stabilizer.

http://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/naval-aviation-history/aircraft-markings.html

May 1, 1948

Changes in aircraft marking specifications made mandatory the use of distinguishing colors for squadrons of a carrier air group on the propeller spinner and across the top of the vertical fin and rudder, assigning Insignia Red, Insignia White, Light Blue, Light Yellow, Light Green, and Black outlined in White respectively for squadrons one through six of each carrier group. Painting of arresting hooks in alternate four inch (10.16 cm) bands of Black and White was also required. Size of Branch of Service, Model Designation, was increased to two inches (5.08 cm). Aircraft Serial Number was increased to 4 inches (10.16 cm).

Actually, I think it is the top. Notice how it is marked "No Step". That would seem to be unlikely for being on the bottom of the piece.

If I recall I think I have seen Navy helicopters with the star and bar facing upwards on the rear stabilizer.

Yep, the no-step markings would be the giveaway. :)

This is 100% NOT from a Bell UH-1 "Huey". The UH-1 elevator is almost perfectly rectangular, the skin is applied differently, the ends aren't as nicely finished, and it has a large metal post coming out of one end for attaching to the helicopter's elevator pivot point.

This is what a UH-1 elevator looks like (in this picture, you are looking at the BOTTOM of each elevator):

post-11320-0-38572100-1458712957.jpg

us army used those colors to on civil type planes like the beech seminole...i would have guessed it was an L-17 navion tip except for it has cables on top and no wing tip...which is very strange

northcoastaero

Some of my guesses include that it is a wingtip for a fixed-wing aircraft such as:

B-26/A-26 Invader.

T-28 Trojan

T-34 Mentor

Good point Gil,

I will measure it and take some more pics and scan for data plates.

I had thought this would be one of those easy "oh, that's off of a OU-812, everyone knows that"

phantomfixer

star is too close to tip to be from a fixed wing aircraft....if no hard points on the underside, that would eliminate the AH-1 Cobra, I see no photo evidence of helicopters having the star on their 'wing" surfaces..

looks way though and great man cave item

phantomfixer

on the right side of the pic is a mounting point...the H-37 has a mount in the same location...and it has an under side mount to...these mounts attach to the airframe...could be the H-37...