Need Help USAAF Crush Cap

30-Cal

I'm attempting to honor my grandfather with a display of items, I have his flight suit and uniform but no cap. He served as a B24 pilot in the 8th Army Air Forces in Europe 1944-45.

I'd like to purchase a ww2 USAAF crush cap just like this one pictured.

While searching the web there seems to be a bunch of different styles of this cap.I don't know a lot about them and was hoping someone familiar with them could I.D this one for me so I could get the exact same style as the one pictured.

Thank you so much!

post-122728-0-51590700-1458687963.png

A medium regular size would be preferable but most any size will do and the budget isn't really important for the right piece but I would like to have an original cap and not a reproduction.

I would steer clear of eBay unless you know what you're looking at.....A lot of the so called "crusher" caps are ordinary service caps with the stiffeners removed, and some times worn to make them look legitimately war time used.....If you do decide to do the eBay auctions, I would suggest looking for one made by Bancroft and called the "Flighter"......These are caps made with the crusher cap features already built in....As stated, be prepared to spend good money on an olive drab or brown crusher style service cap....Good luck with your endeavor....Bodes

SocietyBrandHatCo

The cap your grandfather is wearing appears to be a Bancroft Flighter. It's hard to tell because its not a close up but the visor and shape of the crown looks like that of a Flighter. Or it could be one of the many copies made by a couple dozen companies and tailors. Look for an olive drab cap with a single ply visor and a thin "beaded" strip of binding around the edge. In a decent size (anything over a size 7) you'll probably pay around $250-$350 for a Flighter in good shape and $150-$200 for one of the other makers.

• 2 weeks later...