PFC Timothy Shanower 3/5th Marines KIA 3 Sep 1968

338thRCT

Found this group of items today at a thrift/junk store First noticed the USMC cycle book( Don't know the proper term for it) After picking it up, saw 1968 date. Opened it, and saw a bunch of paper items folded in it. Didn't get to involved in looking at the paper until I got it home and then the reality of it all hit me like a brick. The book and papers were from PFC Timothy E. Shanower of Perrysburg, OH. He was with Mike Co. 3Bn/5th Marines and was KIA on 3 Sept. 1968 in Quang Nam So. VietNam. The most poignant part were the two letters dated 1 and 2 Sept 1968. In the latter one he tries to comfort his parents, stating that he hadn't seen much "terrible shooting or gun-fighting" and that the Artillery and Air took care of the "hard work and we just clean up afterwards". I found a great memorial to him on the 3/5th website.

post-70300-0-38287700-1458680947.jpg

The two photographs are from the 3/5th Memorial Site. The letter is from LtCol H.E. Atkinson, Bn C.O. 3/5th Marines 1st Marine Div. and was a part of the group that I found today

With deepest respect and gratitude,

Mike W.

US Army 1972-74

post-70300-0-89229200-1458681564.jpg

post-70300-0-86639400-1458681582.jpg

post-70300-0-62288600-1458681602.jpg

The most poignant part were the two letters dated 1 and 2 Sept 1968. In the latter one he tries to comfort his parents, stating that he hadn't seen much "terrible shooting or gun-fighting" and that the Artillery and Air took care of the "hard work and we just clean up afterwards".

I think we've all told those lies downrange

Sad tale, the letter furnishing information sure reads very matter of fact and I imagine a bit insensitive, likely due to the LtCol having read far too many of these types of accounts and having to harden himself out of necessity. The word 'expired' seems very matter-of-fact

Incredible paper grouping to a man who sacrificed his life for this country. I would head back to that thrift store and see if you can turn up anymore items!

Glad that you rescued this material. This Marine's memory will now endure a while longer. R.I.P. PFC Shanower. Semper Fi! Bobgee