M1A1 Carbine Inland serial number 404948

davidwh1

I had some requests to see some of the other rifles mentioned in the post on the Colt 45. Here are a few pics of my Inland....(yes..I have been thinking of putting an Underwood flip sight on it)

Here is where it is displayed:

Pic 1

post-6058-0-20546900-1458668300.jpg

Awesome. have you shot it?

No - I don't shoot my collector rifles or handguns. Yes, I know it takes some of the fun out of it. - I do liek to break them down and clean them....even though there is really nothing to clean anymore :-)

I have a M1 Rockola Carbine and a 1953 HR Garand that are my shooters

SKYLINE DRIVE

Wow that M1A1 is in a great condition! I have one from the first production batch with flip sights and first model barrel band as well as one with the same sights as yours and the second model barrel band. Either a late second production run or a modification in a rear echelon armory. Both are battle field leftovers from the Bulge and have definitely never been taken back stateside and re-built in an arsenal. There are several museums in Belgium as well as in Luxembourg who have second production run M1A1's with adjustable rear sights and second type barrel bands. So I would leave the sights as they are, but that's just my two cents!

No - I don't shoot my collector rifles or handguns. Yes, I know it takes some of the fun out of it. - I do liek to break them down and clean them....even though there is really nothing to clean anymore :-)

I have a M1 Rockola Carbine and a 1953 HR Garand that are my shooters

Wise choice Imho!

Wonderful example.

Pardon me for saying, but it looks to me that the s/n is actually 485840

Hey -

Nice catch. I don't know how I screwed up the serial number that badly. Must have been speed typing. Nice catch.

Wow that M1A1 is in a great condition! I have one from the first production batch with flip sights and first model barrel band as well as one with the same sights as yours and the second model barrel band. Either a late second production run or a modification in a rear echelon armory. Both are battle field leftovers from the Bulge and have definitely never been taken back stateside and re-built in an arsenal. There are several museums in Belgium as well as in Luxembourg who have second production run M1A1's with adjustable rear sights and second type barrel bands. So I would leave the sights as they are, but that's just my two cents!

Wise choice Imho!

Hey,

Thanks for the note on the M1A1 - I spent a good amount on it when I bought it from Scott Duff. As for the note on the local museums in Belgium, I lived in Den Haag for three years and Berlin for two. From 2006 - 2009 and 20012 - 2014. I have had the privilege of visiting Bastogne and the Museums in the local area. Great to see the Sherman displayed in the center of the town too. I also picked up several de-ac's while I was in the UK. A couple of thompson's, a Sten MkII, BAR and a Bren. Unbelievable what is still available.

post-6058-0-44150400-1458787227.jpg

post-6058-0-85285100-1458787236.jpg

Dirt Detective

I notice in post 6 the stock has the selector switch cut out, does anyone know if there were any WWII M1A1 full auto's? Any ordnance marks on stock? Love the Carbines. :)

post-2677-0-85195600-1458827165.jpg

Dirt Detective

No ordinance marks at all....not even the "P" on the grip

Im gonna guess a Korean war replacement stock at best. Still a great looking weapon.

Im gonna guess a Korean war replacement stock at best. Still a great looking weapon.

I think you have a point here. I bought it from Scott Duff in Oct 2005 and if I remember correctly he had it as a WWII production but arsenal rebuild. Now I am wondering if the rebuild impacts the value. Going to have to poke around and find out.

Mayby it was mentioned before, but the serial number puts it in the first series of M1A1's in 1943, but its features [rear sight, safety, mag release, wood] put it in late 1944.

Chuck

Mayby it was mentioned before, but the serial number puts it in the first series of M1A1's in 1943, but its features [rear sight, safety, mag release, wood] put it in late 1944.

Chuck

Chuck,

I posted some new pics and there have been some discussions on the carbine in the below link

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/263938-question-on-m1a1-stock-and-parts-confirmations/

David please tell us how you got these weapons back in the states. There are some deactivated weapons on sites in the UK that I would like to be to have but I was under the impression we could not important their deactivated weapons.

Thanks.

Ronnie

Title I firearms, deactivated to Brit specifications, should be importable into the US. Title I firearms are pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, etc. Deactivated Title I firearms, deactivated to Brit specifications would be considered "non-guns" under current ATF and state department regs. The barrels have holes drilled thorugh them, the bolt faces are cut at an angle, and breeches welded shut and welded to the receiver, so they are well destroyed. There are no US regs that I have ever encountered that control how Title I firearms are required to be "destroyed" to comply with any import regulations. Because there are no evident destruction requirements for import of Title I firearms, Brit deactivated firearms should be importable as non-guns.

Title II firearms deactivated to Brit specifications, do not meet US import requirements. Title II are all NFA controlled weapons, MGs, DDs, SBRs, SBSs, etc, etc. However, if Brit deactivated MGs are further "destroyed" to comply with US requirements, then they are importable. Depending on the type of MG, the basic requirement is that the regulated part of the firearm must be destroyed by cutting it into four pieces by cutting torch. And the barrels must be properly destoryed, but the Brit deac regs will suffice.

"Non-sporting" barrels are no longer allowed to be imported, so MG and military rifle barrels must have three bore sized holes drilled through breech, mid-barrel and at muzzle.

If someone finds a Title I firearm in GB that they would like to import, contact a licensed importer and start the paperwork. FWIW