WWII Custom Shop Made Knife - Cole, Book IV, page 186

Trinity

Here are two examples of the knife shown on page 186 of Cole's Book IV. It is unknown who or where these knives were made, but they were definitely manufactured in some quantity. I have these two in my collection and have seen a few others over the past handful of years. However, they are quite rare. Some believe these knives were made and carried by soldiers in the Pacific theater since ones have been found in estates of those soldiers who served in the Pacific. A unique feature is that they appear to have been originally paired with cut down M6 sheaths. The example shown in Cole's book is accompanied by a shortened M6, while the two I have both came with these professionally shortened sheaths.

post-92846-0-93537000-1458505306.jpeg

post-92846-0-00604100-1458505324.jpeg

Still-A-Marine

I've been told that several of these have shown up in paramarine's estates. So at least some are attributed to the paramarine group in WWII.

Bill

I've posted mine before but here they are again. One has a saw back blade. The guards vary in size quite a bit. One scabbard is named to Jack Ferguson Starcher on the USS Baltimore.

MVC-138S.JPG

MVC-140S.JPG

MVC-141S.JPG

Frank Trzaska

I have looked for this maker for years and still no closer to an answer. I have seen several all from Marines so would agree with the USMC association or Pacific area in general.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Here are three of my "mystery" WWII knives. As can be seen in the photo, the top one has a very different blade from what is normally seen. Also, it had no sheath and will not fit the normal style sheath that you see with these. Perhaps someday we can identify who made these.

post-93122-0-34550700-1458954728.jpg

post-93122-0-62179000-1458954828.jpg

• 3 years later...

Bump

Thanks for the bump; I looked for this but couldn't find it. Obviously I now have the one shown in the original post with the handle marked 444.