Purple Heart WW2?

Hey guys, a friend of mine came into this and was wanting to know more about it. I am not versed enough in the engraving styles to know if this was actually done by the government and whether or not it is even ww2. Thanks for any help

post-162219-0-60239400-1458473819.png

if it is a wwii engraved purple heart it is a privately engraved on. I however think that it is a newer engraved government one which may have been an error. I think possibly because it missing its broach and ribbon. The case is a nicer single line one though.

Always looking 33rd infantry division items as well as named items from Illinois but particulary Northern Illinois especially northwest Illinois

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I think it is wwii but with the broach and ribbon gone it is harder for me to tell from the pictures. A few other people might be able to answer that questions. The case for sure is wwii the engraving I do beleive to be post wwii.

Always looking 33rd infantry division items as well as named items from Illinois but particulary Northern Illinois especially northwest Illinois

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 2 weeks later...

That is a WWII purple heart and case with an UNOFFICIALLY engraved name on it. I have not researched that name. The debate carries on among collectors as to whether or not "privately engraved" purple hearts carry ANY collectible value. At this point another discussion on whether or not Unofficial PHs hold value is really not going to help you. I would recommend thinking of it as simply an "attributed" PH and moving on with whether or not that soldier is of interest to your collection personally.

"The cold blooded historian goes mousing among old letters and he finds that these early heroes were men and women, of like frailties with ourselves. But the glory of heroism is not that angels come down to mingle in the affairs of men, but that common men and women, when the occasion demands, can rise to such sublime heights of heroism and self sacrifice." Cordley, Richard. A History of Lawrence, Kansas: From the First Settlement to the Close of the Rebellion. 1895.

Handwritten/Research Material, Photography, Documents, Maps, Rare Books, Historica.

Complete Collections Purchased.

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif