WIA Marine 6th Division Uniform, Okinawa

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

This is one of the uniform groups I found at the SOS 2016,Alpha coat ,pants, shirt, over coat, All named, From Pvt Charles R. Williams L Co, 3rd Bn, 6th Marine Division. He was from Denver Colorado .He was wounded on June 9th. Shell fragments to the right shoulder .Probably from this battle below I copied, When the 6th marines attacked the Japanese navel base in the Oroku Penninsula

The Japanese retreat — although harassed by artillery fire — was conducted with great skill at night and aided by the monsoon storms. The 32nd Army was able to move nearly 30,000 men into its last defense line on the Kiyan Peninsula, which ultimately led to the greatest slaughter on Okinawa in the latter stages of the battle, including the deaths of thousands of civilians. In addition, there were 9,000 IJN troops supported by 1,100 militia, with approximately 4,000 holed up at the underground headquarters on the hillside overlooking the Okinawa Naval Base in the Oroku Peninsula, east of the airfield. On June 4, elements of the 6th Marine Division launched an amphibious assault on the peninsula. The 4,000 Japanese sailors — including Admiral Minoru Ōta — all committed suicide within the hand-built tunnels of the underground Naval headquarters on 13 June. By 17 June, the remnants of Ushijima's shattered 32nd Army were pushed into a small pocket in the far south of the island to the southeast of Itoman. On 18 June, Gen. Buckner was killed by enemy artillery fire while monitoring the forward progress of his troops. Buckner was replaced by Roy Geiger. Upon assuming command, Geiger became the only U.S. Marine to command a numbered army of the U.S. Army in combat; he was relieved five days later by Joseph Stilwell.

post-421-0-63649200-1458420109.jpg

post-421-0-52172200-1458420135.jpg

post-421-0-75561300-1458420167.jpg

post-421-0-47384900-1458420189.jpg

belleau_woodsman

Nick,
Had an offline question about this and it will not let me send you a PM. Hit me back if you would like
Jason