A Question For You Machine Gun Experts

patches

This was asked in another forum on a non standard canteen. So Need you're expertise on this, is it some kind of special canteen for a water cooled gun?

A wonderful contribution by all who posted. I have a question regarding the first photo. The sailor at the far left has what appears to be a very large canteen. Is it an issue item or a private purchase item. Cannot recall seeing anything similar to it

post-34986-0-03224900-1458356035.jpg

Photo in question yes? At any rate, I can't answer your question as I don't know :lol: But I'm pretty certain other members might know. However while we wait I'll take a stab at it, perhaps this large round canteen is a special one for Pharmacist mates, he being today what we call a Corpsman a Medic?

retread12345Posted Today, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the idea. Maybe special issue, just have never seen one.

29navy Posted Today, 05:00 PM

Looks to me like a canteen of water for a water cooled machine gun - Vickers?

The Vickers was adopted in the US in 1915, a year after that photo was taken. The only other water cooled gun in the US inventory in 1914 was the M1904 Maxim, and I don't think they saw service with the US Navy.

I'm going to say that it's just a civilian water canteen pressed into service for the Shore Party. Remember, don't drink the water in Mexico.

The Vickers was adopted in the US in 1915, a year after that photo was taken. The only other water cooled gun in the US inventory in 1914 was the M1904 Maxim, and I don't think they saw service with the US Navy.

I'm going to say that it's just a civilian water canteen pressed into service for the Shore Party. Remember, don't drink the water in Mexico.

Thanks rob, so to be clear, there was not special large issue canteen for the guns?

I think the men in the picture are signalmen. By that logic, the "canteen" might contain kerosene or something similar for smudge pots.

I think the men in the picture are signalmen. By that logic, the "canteen" might contain kerosene or something similar for smudge pots.

Hmm, interesting.