U.S. Air Force Honorable Discharge lapel pin

Has anyone seen something like this before? I just got this via eBay -- was sold as a "Vietnam-era" lapel pin. The reverse is a standard clutch-back, 3/4" in diameter. I have seen the USAF Retired lapel pin (I wear my own frequently) and the USAF veteran pins, plus the more modern USAF honorable discharge with the "new style wings, but this is the first like this I've seen.

Pete

post-5467-0-13482200-1458338916.jpg

It looks nice, but it's not official. The key is to look at the back of the pin for the GI hallmark

If you retired in 1997, that puts your date of entry about 1977 or earlier. In 1977, the Air Force still used the Hap Arnold insignia as a lapel pin to recognize Air Force veterans. Unlike WW II veterans, however, the those pins were purchased the BX instead of being issued at discharge. I know because I entered the Air Force in December of that year and purchased a couple Hap Arnold lapel pins from the BX to give to family.

Your AF Retired Lapel Button is the only lapel pin, other than decoration lapel pins and miniature badges that I believe are authorized by AF Regulation. I wear mine, proudly, too. For years though, I would wear a sterling silver AF coat of arms tie tack as a lapel pin. I purchased the tie tack at Elmendorf AFB clothing sales, not realizing it was GI issue sterling silver until I got back to the barracks.

It seems the gold plating has worn off your button. I'd suggest getting some metal polish and shining it up a bit -- shiny brass is sharp and gives the badge the seasoned distinguished look.

Are you saying my is not official? If so, you are wrong. They were given from the orderly room on retirement. Here is the markings on the back of mine. I joined in 1975 and retired in 1997.

OR are you saying the initial post and pics are not official?

post-9148-0-29203400-1458350665.jpg

firefighter

The retired ones are awarded and this one looks like it would have been too. I had to buy a generic on off of eBay. That is a nice pin. If you want to sell it... :)

There are no marks on the back of the "honorable discharge" lapel pin in the original post. My own "United States Air Force Retired" lapel pin, very similar to that pictured by Ronald, above, was officially issued to me at my retirement in 2003, pinned on me by my squadron commander. It's marked on the back: "I.I.C. G.I." which is probably for the International Insignia Corporation. I want to wear the "honorable discharge" pin occasionally because I started off enlisted, was discharged, and then came back in as an officer until retirement. I can wear both pins!

Pete

I never said the USAF Retired pin pictured was not issue, I said (meant) the Honorable Discharge Pin was not issue. My mistake was not paying close attention to the fact that there were two separate posts from different individuals.

Case in point, my own was issued at retirement and has GI on the back. It was issued on a white card with official stock numbers on the back. It, too, has been worn to the base metal and shows its age. Another purchased later the same year through the BX, made by Ira Green, was much nicer, but it doesn't have the GI mark on the back.

There is a difference. So often, pins purchased through Amazon.Com or eBay have been re-manufactured and may not have the quality of the original pin.

The Honorable Discharge pin looks nice. It isn't official, which I think may be sad, given the pins issued by the other services and Air Force service pride -- and in my own case, when I'm wearing something AF related on a dress coat, more often or not, I will wear a decoration lapel pin and one of the miniature qualification badges (once worn on a shirt) that I once earned.

I suspect that the "honorable discharge" pin in my original post might not be government issue. The only government issue Air Force pin/button I know of is the USAF Retired pin. I wonder if anyone has any examples of official or unofficial honorable discharge and/or retired pins? I know about the winged star pin -- does anyone have any documentation to show that that pin was authorized or issued for US Air Force?

Thanks,

Pete

I would guess that the pin as well as the original insignia transitioned to the Air Force in 1947. The emblem is currently trade-marked and licensed by the USAF. As you are probably aware, the design also is on the uniform buttons, tie tacks and cufflinks.

You can view one or more fact sheets on line by typing Hap Arnold insignia in Google. I tried to paste the links here but my firewall won't let me.

Just for the sake of this forum, there is another Air Force Honorable Discharge pin that I've seen from time to time on Amazon.Com. It's bronze with a white circle, about the size of the USAF Retired Pin, but with the current version of the Hap Arnold insignia in the center.

Thanks, and I hope others will contribute USAF discharge and retired pins here, both official and unofficial. I'd like to see the variety. I know the pin flyboy53 mentioned above -- the bronze looking modern "Hap Arnold" wings in the middle, surrounded by a white circle with "honorable discharge" on it. I wonder if someone has that, can they tell if it's "official" government issue? Heck I just ought to buy one and find out for myself I guess!

Pete

firefighter

Thanks Firefighter. I think the winged star you pictured above is the one referred to in earlier posts -- one that wasn't issued, but sold at BX's etc. I have one myself, never knew what it was.

I like the other two you mentioned -- might have to buy them myself!

Pete

firefighter

Thanks Firefighter. I think the winged star you pictured above is the one referred to in earlier posts -- one that wasn't issued, but sold at BX's etc. I have one myself, never knew what it was.

I like the other two you mentioned -- might have to buy them myself!

Pete

The other two are nice. Is your wing star marked on the back? Mine has an arrow design, like the spot style.

Mine does not have markings. Does yours have the letters "SAAD" within the arrowhead? Supposedly that stands for San Antonio Air Depot. It was a large supply depot for the USAAF during WWII. If you search the forum for "SAAD" you might be able to find the thread that discussed this pin. It was supposedly issued attached to a card that certified service in the USAAF, if I remember correctly.

Pete

firefighter

Mine does not have markings. Does yours have the letters "SAAD" within the arrowhead? Supposedly that stands for San Antonio Air Depot. It was a large supply depot for the USAAF during WWII. If you search the forum for "SAAD" you might be able to find the thread that discussed this pin. It was supposedly issued attached to a card that certified service in the USAAF, if I remember correctly.

Pete

I don't have it handy but I think It does and yes I remember the thread, now. I think You're right about it being attached to a card. I have only seen pics of the card.

I'm pretty sure the Hap Arnold lapel pin I originally got at the BX was made by Ira Green & Co. Can't say for sure because I gave the pin to my youngest cousin. The ones I have now are all WW II era with SSAD on back.

There is another lapel pin that I obtained through my travels, its got the AF Coat of Arms and was featured somewhere else on the website. I've seen them in brass, gold and silver.

firefighter

Flyboy is this the one you're talking about. I've seen these too but are for civilian awards. This one has a diamond chip, which I've never seen before.

s-l1600.jpg

No, I believe that's the lapel pin for a Department of the Air Force Civilian Decoration.

Check this out:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/226527-usaf-lapel-pin/

These were sold at the BX. I have a gold one.

There are also lapel pins, one a set of wings and the other a Titan IIIC missile, signifying the Air Force's 25th Anniversary.

firefighter

No, I believe that's the lapel pin for a Department of the Air Force Civilian Decoration.

Check this out:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/226527-usaf-lapel-pin/

These were sold at the BX. I have a gold one.

There are also lapel pins, one a set of wings and the other a Titan IIIC missile, signifying the Air Force's 25th Anniversary.

I have one of those. I bought it off eBay.I don't remember any pins for civilian wear being sold at the BX or clothing sales.