USMC Eagle Anchor Cartridge Belt

turmanator

Wow! What a great find! You're preserving a bit of history here too. Thanks for the additional photos, just had to see more. :D

Interestingly enough these belts saw use well into WWII. Makes sense that the logistics of early war mobilization would have put these belts into the hands of young Marine recruits given the fact they held ammo as well as any other newly manufactured belt. I recently enlarged my own grandfather's 1942 platoon graduation photo from MCRD San Diego and you can clearly see the usage of these beautiful M1910 belts. At first I wondered if these might be serviceable army snap belts (would not put it past the Marine Corps to have acquired some even though they were Army) but in the below shot you can clearly see the flared wings of the eagle and the top row of stars that is unique to the USMC style snaps. I have a few in my collection and they are a great piece of USMC history. I have even seen remnants of these found with the buttons and pieces of the green webbing still attached that were dug the vicinity of Belleau Wood by a very close friend. Great find, congrats!

post-2182-0-60406600-1458568538.jpg

UScollector0145

Appreciate all the comments! Now I'm itching to get a WWI Marine uniform to display it on!

Maybe a Type 1 first aid pouch and an eagle snap cover and you'd have one hell of a display.

Devildog's photos are the perfect addition to this discussion; not too often you see the old pea-green embossed-dome snap web gear in W.W.II shots...good show!!!!

That cartridge belt is amazing. Great find, and the fact that you found in a store instead of online. Really nice photos devildog, thanks for posting them.

BTW this is the nice 43 mapcase I got for the same price.... I guess a bit of icing on the cake!. I also got 2 wool blankets. Normal green but small specks of yellowish beige threads throughout. Anyone seen that?

post-8015-0-34143000-1458917204.jpg

post-8015-0-59051600-1458917238.jpg