USMC Eagle Anchor Cartridge Belt

turmanator

I was headed to my brothers place in Fayetteville TX yesterday and while going through a small town noticed a big metal shed with a door open and stuff on shelves inside. I turned around and went back and it was a antiques/second hand store that only opens 2 weeks a year. I went inside and right in the doorway I found this along with a nice 43 dated map case and duffel bag all named to the same Marine. First I thought it was just an eagle snap cartridge belt which I would have been more than happy with! But when I got to my brothers he pointed out the error of my ways! Very happy! No dates but one side has round grommets the other has oblong. I know these are more scarce than Army ones but how much moreso?

BTW I'm ashamed to say how much I paid for them...

post-8015-0-78339800-1458333281.jpg

post-8015-0-20104800-1458333294.jpg

Gulp! I would like to see a shot of the whole belt, but from what I do see it appears to be a ten pocket 1910 pattern Marine Mills cartridge belt in the pea green color. It appears to be in very good condition as well. These are tough to find, and more scarce than the tan M1907 9 pocket belts. These 1910 belts were used by the Marines in France in WWI and most of them were just used up and once again tough to find today. I bought my 1910 from a major dealer three years ago and was happy to get it for $1200.00. It is also in very nice condition. I think you did very well. If I would have found it as you did, I would have been looking for the first rest stop following the purchase. Congratulations. Kevin

Come on turmanator you can't do us that way. Make us proud....tell us what you paid!

Nice belt you lucky dog.

Ronnie

More pics on the way. I was at my brothers house/property in the country riding dirt bikes with my gradson. He has crappy internet service so I will get them uploaded this evening.

OK here goes. The belt, as you see, is in pretty good shape. Minor fraying here and there as you can see on some of the pocket flaps. Color is real even, a bit greener in hand than pictures show. All snaps work flawlessly, not even any weakening around either the male or female. Internal straps were cut as you can see the snaps are fine. The stains look much worse in the pictures, in fact you really can't see them in hand. As you can see someone (unfortunately) named it with felt tip so obviously a more modern addition. But, what is interesting is the 43 dated map case is also marked as such. The Vietnam era duffel bag has the whole name, initials and serial number but is faded and older. He fought in Vietnam and received the Bronze Star with a Combat V. He passed away in 2014 in Brenham, which is about 30 miles from where I got it. But the name certainly is minor in comparison to the whole package.

BTW I paid about the same for the chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes, salad and a tea at the little café in Fayetteville the next evening. Which by the way was delicious!

post-8015-0-19805100-1458495244.jpg

Well there you have it. The color is actually closer to the first ones I uploaded with the white backgrounds. But I am using a crappy cell phone camera. If anyone wants any higher res pictures I can arrange that.

Thanks for the extra photos. Heck of a find once again. How bout I trade you dessert? A whole pie maybe? Congrats, Kevin