is the flat Olive Green spray paint from WALMART

BOLO

I have a WWII / Korea liner that could use a repaint, is the FLAT OG paint sold at WALMART close enough to use for repainting a helmet liner? or should I use something else?

I normally wouldnt repaint a helmet liner, but this one was used by the police as a riot helmet and was painted blue, so I removed the blue paint and it still had the original green underneath, but it could use a new coat of olive green to restore it.

Greg Robinson

In the past I've used the paint that comes in a spray can....think the brand name is KRYLON or something very close to that. The color I believe is camouflage and it has, or used to have, a photo of a jeep done up in camouflage patterns on the can. Darn stuff is a near perfect match for WW2 olive drab

Olive drab is actually a mixture of yellow and black. Not green. Heavy on the yellow and light on the black. If you are going to repaint a liner look for olive drab as a color.

Steve

I've redone some of those police helmets too. I wonder if anyone knows where they came from - as in, what police department did that?

Anyway, to answer your question, I have used the Wal-Mart Krylon OD before. I think it is a fair substitute, but it is not my favorite option. I prefer the Aervoe brand OD, as I think the Krylon has a touch of blue to it. But that could just be my eyes.

the finish feels a little too rough like sand paper when I tried putting it in the shell it feels too coarse

so I decided to strip off the all the paint and it revealed this nice color laminations, I think this actually looks better than the rough textured OG paint

Wow, that is one sexy liner with the paint stripped off of it Bolo. I'd leave it like that.

thanks swag ;)

the reason I didnt like the rough OG paint, is because it almost felt like it was ripping my helmet cover when I tried to insert the liner, it should slip right in like this.

thanks swag ;)

the reason I didnt like the rough OG paint, is because it almost felt like it was ripping my helmet cover when I tried to insert the liner, it should slip right in like this.

Hello BOLO.

Very nice stripped liner. Just wondering what you used to strip the paint off so well, as I have two civil defense liners to strip and paint.

Thanks,Chris.

Hello BOLO.

Very nice stripped liner. Just wondering what you used to strip the paint off so well, as I have two civil defense liners to strip and paint.

Thanks,Chris.

I used Citristrip from WALMART, it has an orange cap and is safe to use indoors

and finished removing what was left with some WD 40 and #OOOO extra fine steel wool

then used a little lemon Pledge furniture polish and cleaned it.

• 1 year later...
ClaptonIsGod
I used Citristrip from WALMART, it has an orange cap and is safe to use indoors

and finished removing what was left with some WD 40 and #OOOO extra fine steel wool

then used a little lemon Pledge furniture polish and cleaned it.

Bumping this after finding it for Freddy, does Citistrip remove the original paint layers?

• 1 month later...
I've redone some of those police helmets too. I wonder if anyone knows where they came from - as in, what police department did that?

Anyway, to answer your question, I have used the Wal-Mart Krylon OD before. I think it is a fair substitute, but it is not my favorite option. I prefer the Aervoe brand OD, as I think the Krylon has a touch of blue to it. But that could just be my eyes.

In 1968 the Houston Police Department bought many hundreds of surplus helmets and painted them blue and issued them during the riots that occurred. They were sold surplus in the late 70's and later in the 80's. I ran the Houston Police museum for 25 years and had several of them. I know this post is old but it does ask a question that can be answered.