"Handmade" WWII Aircrew wings?

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

Wanted to get some thoughts on these wings. From the bay - says they are handmade. But is this something that got jacked up and then someone tried to make them "look" theater made or handmade? Almost looks like the center was ground down and then etched? The pin and catch look theater style...but exactly where? Would like to know your thoughts!

Daniel

1.jpg

doinworkinvans

it also looks like there is something etched on the upper right hand corner of the wing

You beat me to it, i was actually going to post this. I am very interested as to what these ares. I think they are original but its a tough call!

For all it is worth, I've done metal engraving on assorted metal, from aluminium to sterling silver, and this looks like what you would get using a rougher tool than a Dremel. I've done some things that looked very similar, as it is harder to get even, curving lines without a power tool and steady hand.

crotalus358

Great looking wings! IMHO, these really remind me of some of the CBI handmade pieces. Very cool!

My first impression was SW USA (i.e. Indian silver craftsman) or Mexican-made. Chinese or India (CBI) workmanship has a different feel, I think. But who really knows.

In fact, I would suspect that this is made out of a couple of silver Mexican coins. I wonder if the "writing" on the back are the remains of the writing on the coins showing through?

doinworkinvans

amazing the bid count and watch count has gone up since posting this and I am now outbid.....price you pay I suppose :blush:

amazing the bid count and watch count has gone up since posting this and I am now outbid.....price you pay I suppose :blush:

Yes, when you post here before having it in hand you wake the sleeping giant! LOL

When I saw these my first thought was that an airman made them himself. They made knives, belt buckles, coin bracelets, rings, trench art, etc. Why not wings as well? To me it looks like someone's first or second project. I really like them.

doinworkinvans

welp.....i got smoked!! Somebody else liked them too! What's the old saying.....if you cant run with the big dogs.....

welp.....i got smoked!! Somebody else liked them too! What's the old saying.....if you cant run with the big dogs.....

In this case...If you can't soar with eagles...

I saw the auction earlier in the week but didn't bookmark it. What did the wings sell for?

Looks like it closed at $116.55 with 11 bids. Seems like a decent price if it is good. I do a little silver work and nothing jumped out to me as modern.