Calling all Experts!

reapp

Greetings Board!

I have been given the task of liquidating my 94 year old uncle's possessions, as he has basically outlived his retirement funds. He served as a photographer in the Army Air Corp in the Burma theater during WWII, and after the war he was an avid collector of many things. One of his many collections is patches, and I was hoping I could get some help ID'ing some of these. He said he picked most of these up after the war up until the 1960's, at which time he stopped. I intend to put these, and the 200+ others, on ebay when time permits. That being said, I've attached a scan of nine random patches. Can you guys (and gals?) help me with an ID, and possibly tell me if there are any rare ones in the bunch? Thanks in advance for taking the time to help!

David

post-12458-0-93837000-1458306039.jpg

Rakkasan187

David,

Welcome to the forum..

Patches from Left to right starting at the top:

US Military Academy (West Point)

XI Corps

187th Infantry Brigade (upside down)

Middle Row:

103rd Infantry Division

193rd Infantry Brigade (upside down)

85th Infantry Regiment (Pocket Patch)

Bottom Row:

8th Infantry Regiment (pocket patch)

Massachusetts National Guard Headquarters

15th Army

The 15th army patch looks to be theater made (Post War Germany)

The pocket patches are not too easy to find but they are out there and the remainder of the patches are in the $3-$5 dollar range..

Leigh

On a side note, you may want to consider offering these and other military items here to members of the forum. You will need to meet the minimum posting requirements before you can start selling but, you may have some interested buyers on here..

Wow...thanks guys! These were just nine random patches that I pulled out of the bag. That's good news, as every little bit helps. If you don't mind, I might post a few more over the weekend. I know that there are some Airborne patches, as well as some with bullion threading. I also have his collection of DUI screwback pins, but that's a topic for a different day!

As for the 15th patch, it is definitely different from the rest. It is "puffy", as if there is some type of excess fabric or filler in it. Also, it is not a "polished" patch, so to speak. It looks like it was made as a one-off patch, and not mass produced.

firefighter

The 15th Army is nice but the 85th is up there too. It was part of the 10th (MTN) Div, post war era.Probably worn late 40s-mid 50s.

The 85th Infantry Regiment pocket patch is specifically from 1954 to 1958, as that is when the unit was in Germany. It also was not designated as a "Mountain" unit at that time.

The 15th Army is nice but the 85th is up there too. It was part of the 10th (MTN) Div, post war era.Probably worn late 40s-mid 50s.

firefighter

The 85th Infantry Regiment pocket patch is specifically from 1954 to 1958, as that is when the unit was in Germany. It also was not designated as a "Mountain" unit at that time.

Thank you. Yes I know at that time they were the 10th Div. Thats why I put Mountain in brackets. The 85th Infantry Regiment was assigned to the the 10th Inf Div from 1948-1957.

I had time to list a few of these yesterday.....hope to have more up today. If interested, search seller "little_reapp"