MACV OD shirt, 7th ARVN DIV HQ

ARVNcollector

ARVNcollector

Evening All,

A friend of mine just acquired this shirt and asked me for some assistance in ID, however, this is completely out of my scope. I would appreciate any information on the who, when and where of this shirt. Especially puzzling is the red and blue patch.

post-151053-0-45135500-1458267485.jpg

Thank you in advance.

P-40Warhawk

Here's the description from Baystate Militaria where it was listed:

"VU-517 US MACV Advisors Jungle Jacket with MACV cut edge shoulder insignia. Pocket patch of the 7TH South Vietnamese Infantry Division Headquarters is printed cotton, with a red and blue tab cotton advisors tab.. Some field repairs as shown. Great jacket. Great shirt worthy of some additional research. $675"

baystate.jpg

They said it was an "advisors tab'..?

vintageproductions

It's the advisor's tab to the battalion or regiment of the 7th infantry.

Someone else also just sent me photos of this jungle shirt to make sure it was real.

That is a killer shirt! That is a very early jungle fatigue jacket with very wide pocket flaps.

Here is an example of a jacket I owned which also had a unit tab over the right pocket. Unfortunately mine did not have a name associated with it.

Fat 153.jpg

That was great jacket. Exactly what you would want to see in a well used Advisers jacket. Alot of wear and field repairs and all around fade. Though it looks like I sold it way too cheap !!

Mitch

I do not believe it is a tab that indicated that the individual was a advisor, for just by being a American and the insignia he is wearing on his uniform would do that. The Lt. was probably a Assistant Senior Advisor and as such would deploy with a forward company. A Vietnamese Bn. would be made up of 5 companies and I believe it is a company designation. For information the Bn. organization would be HQ, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Companies. The normal advisor make up would be Senior Advisor (Cpt.), Assistant Sr. Advisor (1st Lt.) two Senior NCO's (normally E-6 and E-7) and a RTO (Sp. 4).

thefallenbuddha

The patch is identified as being for the 7th Division Headquarters. So, I am also thinking the colored tape is an insignia for the headquarters unit / company that the advisor was attached to, like the previous post mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the story with that white CIB?? :huh:

It's a theater-made badge. The base material is colored with a cheap dye and after a couple washes all the color fades out. And even without washing I would suspect that just sun & sweat caused them to fade as well.