Franklin White 1C Chauffeur 53rd Signal Siberian Grouping

Navybean

This is an outstanding group. If you decide to set up a mannequin / display case, I can only imagine how amazing it will all look.

Thanks everybody for kind words, it is a great group. I would love to display it but i do not have big enough space to dedicate to its display. I am considering put one of the uniforms on a mannequin

Ok, not "cheap" as you implied, but the old adage, "you get what you pay for" certainly applies here. Just all those rare shoulder patches, if sold separately would total a pretty impressive sum. An outstanding grouping and an outstanding score. That Russian belt buckle looks really cool. Probably traded 3 cigs for it.

I might add, this is an excellent study on how original shoulder patches should look.

Ok, not "cheap" as you implied, but the old adage, "you get what you pay for" certainly applies here. Just all those rare shoulder patches, if sold separately would total a pretty impressive sum. An outstanding grouping and an outstanding score. That Russian belt buckle looks really cool. Probably traded 3 cigs for it.

I might add, this is an excellent study on how original shoulder patches should look.

true statement, I paid a lot for the group but love the history that came with the tunics. The paperwork although a little obscure help trace the vet from his time in Manila to his time in Siberia. The motorcycle receipt ties in with his rate of chauffeur and the paper work transferring him from Engineers to Signal Telegraph Corp ties into the patches in the group. The paperwork for 1st and then a 2nd gold overseas stripe match the 2 gold stripes on each of the uniform pieces... Then the paperwork mentioning the Siberia AEF ties into the patches on each jacket.

Thank you for all the nice comments, although it is hard to say if White ever saw any combat it is still a fascinating group.

Hey Navybean,

Your comment about White not seeing combat really resonated with me- I'll bet you're right ! But having collected WWI groups since 1981, that is a trend I have seen over and over- most of the real combat vets are less likely to have the really great painted helmets, the really cool rare patch variations, the really great scrapbooks and souvenirs . It's almost as if they are just grateful to have made it through and made it home. Some of my biggest and best groups are from the "one stripers" who did the least! I guess it kind of makes sense, but I'm glad to have some of both types to make the stuff and the histories so fascinating to save for future generations . Thanks again for sharing one of the best trunk groups I've ever seen for posterity, all as one group! This is one of those groups that really is worth whatever someone will pay for it!

David

Thanks for the observations David, I am really happy to be able to share this group and more happy that there are fellow collectors out there who appreciate it as much as I do.

Thanks Mike

Mike, is his discharge amongst the other papers? If not, do you know what state he is from? They may have a copy if he applied for a bonus. This could tell you if he was in a battle.

No discharge unfortunately, he was from California. I believe he was in the California National Guard before deployment to the Phillipeans

No discharge unfortunately, he was from California. I believe he was in the California National Guard before deployment to the Phillipeans

There used to be a military museum in California that helped me research a few local vets, but it appears that it is closed. You might try the California State Archive ( http://www.sos.ca.gov/archives ) and see if they have copies of the bonus applications filed by the WWI vets. Often this will list the campaigns the vet participated in.

There used to be a military museum in California that helped me research a few local vets, but it appears that it is closed. You might try the California State Archive ( http://www.sos.ca.gov/archives ) and see if they have copies of the bonus applications filed by the WWI vets. Often this will list the campaigns the vet participated in.

Great info, I will see what I can turn up. I have searched the net for some info but I have not turned up much yet.

• 2 years later...