This just in: a 94th and 90th Inf Div Ike Jacket & fully named

CW4AFB

As many of you know I'm not much of an Ike jacket collector any more but this one was way too good to pass up. I really like the DUIs for the 94thID and one appears to be German made.

Inside the pocket were an extra CIB, two pinback badges , two qualification bars----all stamped Sterling, and best of all---it's fully named to a guy from a county very near here---

but here's a question---I usually saw guys from the 90th ID being assigned to other divisions (because of low points etc) after the war --this is the first time I've seen a guy from another unit being assigned to the 90th; anybody else seen that?

and yes, I did a poor job of shooting a photo of the sleeve with the 90th patch---what can I say?

post-2235-0-43858200-1458170962.jpg

post-2235-0-50617300-1458170972.jpg

I posted a 94th ID Ike jacket to a soldier in the 376th Infantry Regiment about a month ago. On the left shoulder was a 90th Division SSI. You will often find different divisions "paired up" for going home from the ETO. A lot of high point members of the 29th Infantry Division headed back to the states with the 69th Infantry Division. A lot of 9th Infantry Division soldiers ended up in the 71st Division. Most of the low point men in the 35th Division shipped over to the 5th Infantry Division when the 35th went home. Low point 101st soldiers went to the 82nd and the high point 101st vets went to the 17th and 13th Airborne Divisions for rapid returns to the USA.

This is a great jacket and right as rain. Thanks for sharing it.

Allan

Now is this a kick in the head, almost the same right, except you guy was a Corporal, the guy is a PFC, and he seems to be wearing his discs backwards, Crossed Rifles on the right (our left) and U.S. on the left (our Right). No other info on him other than his last name Sherman.

post-34986-0-60493300-1458185555.jpg

That is very close---very cool---guess there was some significant crossover from the 94th to the 90th.

Al

Now is this a kick in the head, almost the same right, except you guy was a Corporal, the guy is a PFC, and he seems to be wearing his discs backwards, Crossed Rifles on the right (our left) and U.S. on the left (our Right). No other info on him other than his last name Sherman.

attachicon.gifsherman_L.jpg

Allan--you're right about the pairings but the only really formal relationship I could find was between the 29th and the 69th.

Here's that 29th ID paper I used in "Let's Go!" to show how the 29th exchanged with the 69th.

Al

I posted a 94th ID Ike jacket to a soldier in the 376th Infantry Regiment about a month ago. On the left shoulder was a 90th Division SSI. You will often find different divisions "paired up" for going home from the ETO. A lot of high point members of the 29th Infantry Division headed back to the states with the 69th Infantry Division. A lot of 9th Infantry Division soldiers ended up in the 71st Division. Most of the low point men in the 35th Division shipped over to the 5th Infantry Division when the 35th went home. Low point 101st soldiers went to the 82nd and the high point 101st vets went to the 17th and 13th Airborne Divisions for rapid returns to the USA.

This is a great jacket and right as rain. Thanks for sharing it.

Allan

post-2235-0-38288100-1458305186.jpg

Al,

It's funny that the 29th was so welcoming to the 69th as the 29th vets who went home with the 69th weren't allowed to wear ANY 29th Division insignia on the way home. I once had a vet tell me that the men of the 29th tore their patches off as they headed down the gangplank when their ship arrived back in the USA and the ground was littered with 69th Division patches. He said that a lot of 29th guys simply stitched a 69th ID patch over the 29th patch so the 29th was there as soon as the 69th was torn off.

I'm sure there are other examples of divisions that swapped soldiers to go home to the USA after VE Day besides the examples that I cited earlier.

Allan

Al, this one isn't exactly the same, but it appears this fellow was reassigned to the 90th. Even as a pre-war enlistee, he only arrived in the ETO in January 1945, received campaign credit for Central Europe with the 546th FA, but stayed in theater until December 1945, probably because of low points.

post-112103-0-82465900-1458327858.jpg

dan_the_hun84

My grandfather was with the 261st Infantry 65th Division from Aug 44-until VE day, being a low-points man in July(?) 45 he was assigned to the 329th Inf, 83rd division until he shipped home w/ them His Ike jacket has the 65th on right and 83rd on left, Not sure if was a geographical connection, but the 65th ended the war in Lower Bavaria/Austria and the 329th had occupation duty in roughly the same area,

I have also seen a couple 90th/94th Ikes as well....

• 1 year later...

attachicon.gifsherman_L.jpg

I know more on this guy, as I did some research on him. He was killed in a car accident shortly after he was discharged.

• 1 month later...

Al,

It's funny that the 29th was so welcoming to the 69th as the 29th vets who went home with the 69th weren't allowed to wear ANY 29th Division insignia on the way home. I once had a vet tell me that the men of the 29th tore their patches off as they headed down the gangplank when their ship arrived back in the USA and the ground was littered with 69th Division patches. He said that a lot of 29th guys simply stitched a 69th ID patch over the 29th patch so the 29th was there as soon as the 69th was torn off.

I'm sure there are other examples of divisions that swapped soldiers to go home to the USA after VE Day besides the examples that I cited earlier.

Allan

And here, fresh from the VANG files, a picture of 29th Infantry Division soldiers at a ceremony transferring them to the 69th Division in August 1945. I found in an old file some other great late war 29th Inf division photos taken by the soldiers.

I'll try to get them scanned and posted soon.

Al

post-2235-0-30992700-1498065996_thumb.jpg