B-17 Pilot Uniform Group - 547th BS 384th BG 8th Air Force - Stalag Luft III POW

HistoryNut

I received an email last week with photos from a building demolition company owner. She wrote she found some old uniforms in a box that had been left abandoned in a barn the company was getting ready to tear done. Of course, I immediately responded, but didn't hear back from her until last night. We made arrangements and I met her at a local storage unit.The uniforms had been found in an extremely dusty box without any additional protection. It's truly amazing to me they survived all these years without any damage. She stated the other items found had been ravaged by mice and other bugs.

I purchased the uniforms and when I got home I started looking them over. Luckily, nearly all the uniform items were marked with the veteran's last name or initials. I also found some documents inside one of the jacket pockets with his full name. The box the uniforms were stored in also had his full name. When I did my first Google search I immediately got a hit! This veteran had completed a nearly 1 hour video interview regarding his WWII experiences. The link is as follows:

I watched the video in amazement, as it details from the day he joined the Army Air Corps in 1941 through his liberation from a POW camp in 1945. It is worth the watch! Here are a few photos of the group...I hope you enjoy.

post-13256-0-22129900-1458147481.jpeg

doinworkinvans

Watched the video and loved it. I love hearing these old fellers talk! Great find my man! really jealous I must say! Its amazing that a lot is still out there!

I'm glad you enjoyed the video...thanks for watching! It is amazing groups like this still turn up. Especially, this one...it was truly saved from the trash.

That is awesome! The fact he has the video and you were able to link it all together is great. Congrats on a nice find and saving it.

Outstanding job saving it from the trash. Too bad they didn't find any POW dog tags, but those jackets are great. Any chance we can get a close-up photo of the wings and ribbons?

Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks! As requested, here are a few photos of the wings and ribbons.

post-13256-0-75844400-1458179895.jpeg

post-13256-0-40771400-1458179922.jpeg

I'm clearly doing something wrong! Nice find. Glad you are in a position to preserve it and the story of the man it belonged to.

Thanks again for all the great comments! USdog...yes, checked the pockets, no tags but found some documents. :) I have listed this group in the for sale section if anyone is interested. Again, thanks for all the feedback and kind words.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...