Port Hole “Dog” From the HMS Queen Mary

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

Souvenir of Pvt. Lamar Shoemaker, of Portland, IN. served in the 331st Infantry Regiment of the 83rdth Infantry Division in Normandy. He was Wounded In Action (WIA) by a German 9mm bullet on July 17, 1944, less than four hours after he entered into combat. The severity of his wound necessitated his evacuation back to the US for recovery.

He shipped home on the HMS Queen Mary, one of the most luxurious ocean liners ever built. In a notation in his diary he writes: “8/30 In Scotland and on Queen Mary”; “9/5 Started on way home. Besides patients and other passengers are US air corps, CB. and Navy Also british (sic) and Canadian Military personnel. Even Churchill. Have screw tap from port hole for souvenir.” Somewhere, I read that these were called “dogs”, any Navy guys that can confirm the slang name and I would like to know the official name also. This interesting artifact is in the collection of the Museum of the Soldier, Portland, IN. Shoemaker was a longtime elementary school principal and the choir director at my church. He had limited range of motion of his neck and right arm from his wounds. Part of the grouping is the 9mm bullet removed from him; I say he was involved in “close” Combat!

BKW

post-1549-0-01608100-1458100427.jpg

• 2 months later...

that's a great souvenir and an even greater story!

certainly can tell it's from a ship so makes a nice display piece.

thanks for sharing,

-Brian

Nice item BK.Some of the oddest items come in vet groups and often no identification or story.This one is a exception.Thanks for posting.

Brian Keith

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you liked it. The family told us it was from the Queen Mary, I was really excited to see he actually mentioned it in the diary, makes the story much more credible.

BKW