Vietnam era Special Forces Green Beret Studio Potrait - '66

lakenormanusa

lakenormanusa

I was going through my photos and wanted to post this one of a Vietnam era Special Forces soldier.

It's an 8x10 hand tinted studio portrait dated 6/8/66.

It is also named Allan.

Please feel free to leave any comments, observations or a possible ID.

Rick

post-125711-0-96726900-1458008317.jpg

post-125711-0-98893500-1458008395.jpg

• 2 months later...
Eric Queen

That is a super portrait Rick. Really nice. e19 could speak to this better than I can but I believe completing of the final phase of SFTG would enable the wearing of the white flash on the beret as in this portrait.

SF Q Course Grad x.jpg

Eric Queen

The man in your photo looks somewhat similar to this one (eyes, eyebrows, etc.)

img132 x.jpg

Eric Queen

Thanks Bob. From this side by side view they certainly do look like the same person. I just wish he was turned more to his left so we could get a clear shot of the name tape so we could have both the first and last name.

Of course the down side to this is now I am going to have to beg Rick to sell it to me so they can be kept together...........LOL

Either way, great photo Rick. At least you now know your man made it through the course and on to the 5th group. Thanks for posting. Would love to see more interesting portraits should you come across any.

lakenormanusa

Thanks Bob. From this side by side view they certainly do look like the same person. I just wish he was turned more to his left so we could get a clear shot of the name tape so we could have both the first and last name.

Of course the down side to this is now I am going to have to beg Rick to sell it to me so they can be kept together...........LOL

Either way, great photo Rick. At least you now know your man made it through the course and on to the 5th group. Thanks for posting. Would love to see more interesting portraits should you come across any.

Eric and Bob, that's got to be the same man. Eric, as soon as I saw your portrait, it's like I instantly recognized him.

The name tape in your photo is close to being readable. I posted a photo a few weeks ago, and Fixbayonets! was able

to zoom in and edit small details that were otherwise impossible to see. I wonder if he could work his magic on the name tape in your photo. If so, we'll have an ID.

That is a super portrait Rick. Really nice. e19 could speak to this better than I can but I believe completing of the final phase of SFTG would enable the wearing of the white flash on the beret as in this portrait.

No, atl least not during my time around SFTG, Graduates wore the flash of the group they were assigned to. The white flash was worn only if you were assigned to SFTG at graduation.

The only other pic similar to your's that I recall seeing is in this link.

http://scotty-stolenvaloroffendersexposed.blogspot.com/2014/07/robert-stanley-bo-mccormick-us-army.html

Eric Queen

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. My late friend Jim Pair had a similar but black and white photo of himself wearing the white flash and had always said it was taken upon completion of the Q course. I don't believe he was ever assigned to the SFTG but I could have gotten that part wrong.

• 10 months later...

They used to wear what was called a "candy stripe", meaning that they hadn't been thru the "Q" course. Now they have a tab. I hate that Class A greens are gone, and they wear blues!

I just posted on another Green Beret site that a new book has come out by Marc Leepson, about "Barry Sadler". You can contact

him at [email protected] . I mailed him a check, yesterday for $30.00.

Tim

ww2dday.com