WWII 82nd Airborne Paratrooper Studio Portrait - Taken in Sicily '43

lakenormanusa

lakenormanusa

I was going through my photos and wanted to post this one of an 82nd Airborne paratrooper taken in Sicily 1943.

Please feel free to leave any comments or obsevations or an ID if possible.

Rick

post-125711-0-34833300-1458007577.jpg

post-125711-0-91673300-1458007596.jpg

• 2 months later...
Eric Queen

Rick, that is a SUPER photograph. Can you tell what type of weapon he is carrying? AUG 9 is exactly a month after the Sicily invasion. I wonder if this guy was with the 505 PIR

lakenormanusa

Rick, that is a SUPER photograph. Can you tell what type of weapon he is carrying? AUG 9 is exactly a month after the Sicily invasion. I wonder if this guy was with the 505 PIR

Thanks Eric! I believe it's a carbine with foldout stock.

It appears to be the same type shown in this photo (attached link) of 101st AB officers.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/244066-wwii-101st-airborne-officers-yard-long-portrait/

• 10 months later...

Send a copy of this photo to Ellen Peters. She's the treasurer of the F&F 505th Para Regt. Her email: [email protected] . I do know that many of the guys had these photos taken in Italy. I've seen several of them. She is in contact with the few, we still have living. Several years ago, I met a lady and she laughed about being from "Taxachusetts". I told her I'd jumped,at Ft Devens with 10th SFG. She told me that her uncle was a para, and I asked his name? She told me that I wouldn't know him, as he was killed in WW2. I asked, who he was with? She called her sister on her cell phone. He was in the 508th PIR, 82nd. She gave me his name and email. I contacted Ellen. Within an hour, I learned that this man had a buddy, not far off the drop zone from him when he climbed over a fence. A grenade ring got caught on the fence. I contacted the lady by email and gave her the tele number of the guy. At the same time, I imagined her sister, prior to this. Standing at a checkout in a Food Lion in Topsail Beach, NC and dropping her car keys, and an older gentleman picking them up and handing them to her. Reason I saw that: The fellow who saw her uncle killed, also,lived in Topsail Beach, NC! They sent me a photo of him, and it's in my photo-gallery: ww2dday.com . Hopefully Ellen can help!

• 8 months later...