Original Early Fixed Bale M1 Helmet - Navy Red Damage Control

usmcraidergirl

usmcraidergirl

This weekend a friend and I drove several hours and hit antique places along the way. Found this and another helmet I thought might be of interest here rather than left to rot at store. Wanted to show them here first before likely gonna stick them on eBay (unless someone interested - just message me an offer if you are as I would rather it go to forum member).

This first one is fixed bail with worn but original chin straps. Sadly no liner. Front seam and it is stamped 267A - so that puts it in early 1942 manufacturer.

Neat part is that is still retains its original World War II red paint over the factory green. I suspect it is for Navy damage control (which is why I put that in the title).

Enjoy!

a.jpg

b.jpg

RustyCanteen

Interesting helmet (and found the best way; with friends having a good time!). It looks like it has white painted marks on the front and back?

usmcraidergirl

Yes it has what looks like maybe white numbers like 11 on front and back. It is pretty worn but it is a nice salty worn. Looks like it's been there to witness history but not trashed.

RustyCanteen

It looks like it got out of the service before it got hit with the infamous sailor brandishing a coarse paintbrush and a few hundred gallons of paint for about 30 years! Possibly it saw WWII service only?

usmcraidergirl

There is green layer and red. Nothing more. So whatever ship it was on wasn't in service post war.

RustyCanteen

I thought so, but it is so hard to tell with pictures. Usually they have lots of grey layers clearly showing.

You might try listing it here on the forum in the 'For Sale' section. It's a nice looking helmet fixed loop helmet, and I like that it looks untouched and hasn't been cleaned any. Maybe start around $120?

usmcraidergirl

I thought so, but it is so hard to tell with pictures. Usually they have lots of grey layers clearly showing.

You might try listing it here on the forum in the 'For Sale' section. It's a nice looking helmet fixed loop helmet, and I like that it looks untouched and hasn't been cleaned any. Maybe start around $120?

Thanks for the heads up. Good idea about listing it here. I went ahead and did that as suggested.

Honestly would rather it go to a forum member here.

Here is the link to the FOR SALE section ad:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/262900-for-sale-early-fixed-bail-helmet-red-damage-control/?p=2112839