Is this Official Machine Engraving?

Collector5516

Collector5516

Just purchased this medal from an auction house. The majority of the KIA hearts in my collection are official, hand engraved so I'm not too good with identifying the machine engravings. Thanks in advance!

post-11143-0-32636500-1457991932.jpg

Hello when looking at the headstone applaction form, go to the bottom of the screen and go to next page, the back side of the card will some times list awards & decorations..

Collector5516

Hello when looking at the headstone applaction form, go to the bottom of the screen and go to next page, the back side of the card will some times list awards & decorations..

Thanks for the tip. I took a look and there is a scan of the reverse but there is no info there.

BigJohn#3RD

Looks like your guy was a replacement and KIA in the close days of the 37th ID in the closing days of the battle to secure Luzon: “Bagabag fell to the 145th Infantry on 9 Jun 45, and the division pushed across the Cagayen Valley and took Cauayan 16 Jun 45 and Ilagan 19 Jun 45. Although the Luzon campaign was officially closed 30 Jun 45, the division continued to mop up and secure its area, and was collecting and processing Japanese prisoners when the war ended.

http://five24.com/fam/d/HyperWar%20US%2037th%20Infantry%20Division.htm

The burial card is for 1948 so his body was one of those repatriated after the war so the Purple Heart could have been issued anytime from Late 1945 to a grave side service in 1948. Not an SME on engraving, I’m sure that one of our experts will better find the time window for you.

I also agree that this is a government large machine engraving. Not sure if it's my eyes but the middle letters of "CHARLIE" seem to rise slightly?

Collector5516

I also agree that this is a government large machine engraving. Not sure if it's my eyes but the middle letters of "CHARLIE" seem to rise slightly?

I think the R in Charlie is ever so slightly leaning to the right so it seems to "rise".

Collector5516

Looks like your guy was a replacement and KIA in the close days of the 37th ID in the closing days of the battle to secure Luzon: “Bagabag fell to the 145th Infantry on 9 Jun 45, and the division pushed across the Cagayen Valley and took Cauayan 16 Jun 45 and Ilagan 19 Jun 45. Although the Luzon campaign was officially closed 30 Jun 45, the division continued to mop up and secure its area, and was collecting and processing Japanese prisoners when the war ended.

http://five24.com/fam/d/HyperWar%20US%2037th%20Infantry%20Division.htm

The burial card is for 1948 so his body was one of those repatriated after the war so the Purple Heart could have been issued anytime from Late 1945 to a grave side service in 1948. Not an SME on engraving, I’m sure that one of our experts will better find the time window for you.

BigJohn - Thank you for adding this information!