One you don't see every day

emccomas

This beautiful medal is currently listed on Ebay. I am hoping it is the real deal; it is stunning.

If I was still collecting WWII vintage medals, I would be in on this one.

A cased Air Mail Flyers Medal of Honor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WW2-Era-Government-Issue-Cased-Air-Mail-Flyers-Medal-of-Honor-Ribbon-/172129171605?hash=item2813b2b895:g:GDcAAOSwAuNW4csk

post-12036-0-41969400-1457973308.jpg

post-12036-0-78984000-1457973314.jpg

Yes...the seller (a member of the WAF) picked it up in a group and now has it listed (the original veteran to whom the group belonged never earned the medal, so he decided to part it out).

I had never seen one before!

Very interesting piece, saw the thread on Waf and it seems the person who had it posted it and then did comment back and went and sold it asap!! Interesting piece how rare are these and what do you guys think its worth?

I found a note in the 1958 Annual Report of the Regents of the Smithsonian Institution indicating there were 10 recipients, I don't believe there were any more.

DakotaDave

Brian Dentino

Very nice looking medal....and one I have ever seen or even heard of before. Learning something here all the time! Thanks for bringing to our attention.

I'm guessing the awarded examples had a name engraved on the reverse. Being that this one doesn't, probably more than what was awarded were manufactured and this is one of those. But, no doubt very few were made (or are still around), especially with a case.

Price could go anywhere - Beside medal collectors, you have aviation collectors and stamp collectors who would go for this.

I'll guess $3500.

I'm guessing the awarded examples had a name engraved on the reverse. Being that this one doesn't, probably more than what was awarded were manufactured and this is one of those. But, no doubt very few were made (or are still around), especially with a case.

Price could go anywhere - Beside medal collectors, you have aviation collectors and stamp collectors who would go for this.

I'll guess $3500.

Probably more accurate than my estimate.

This is one time I am glad to be out of this arena. I might be tempted to go as high as $5K for it.

Seriously, how to you put a value on this. Are there any comparable sales. Has a medal like this sold recently (last 5 years or so).

That is one of the big problems with rare items; they show up so seldom that it becomes almost impossible to estimate a real market value.

Somebody is going to get a beautiful medal.

And while I am thinking about it, is this the SAME case that was used for early (pre-WWII) Navy Distinguished Service Medals.

The color and style look pretty close to the early domed version of the Navy DSM case.

For the record, I note the following 10 recipients:

Mal B. Freeburg - awarded on Dec 13, 1933 by President Roosevelt.

Roy H. Warner - awarded October 29, 1935 by President Roosevelt.

Grover Tyler - awarded October 29, 1935 by President Roosevelt.

Edward A. Bellande - awarded October 29, 1935 by President Roosevelt.

Lewis S. Turner - awarded October 29, 1935 by President Roosevelt.

Gordon S. Darnell - awarded October 29, 1935 by President Roosevelt.

Willington P. McFail - awarded October 29, 1935 by President Roosevelt.

James H. Carmichael - awarded October 29, 1935 by President Roosevelt.

Ted Kincannon (posthumously) - awarded April 12, 1937

Captain John David Hissong - awarded October 4, 1948 (for incident that occurred on Oct 18, 1938).

I also found these interesting ... Wheaties box

post-12036-0-98823700-1458072234.jpg

Here is one that is in the collection of the National Air and Space Museum. Notice the difference in the finish? Interesting

post-12036-0-24450900-1458079251.jpg

My understanding is that there was a Silver and Gold version of this medal, just like there are for the Byrd medals.

My guess is that it will sell in the 3.5K range. If it had been named I would have estimated 5K.

Kurt

It's interesting to me that the silvered one from the Air and Space Museum has a silvered brooch as well. The gold one from the estate sale has a standard brooch, not gilded. I'd love to see an example of an awarded gold one!

The seller found two of these in the grouping, both cased. The second is missing the ribbon. I am sure he will offer the second for sale after the first sells.

If you get outbid on number one, wait for number two to be much cheaper :-)

From WAF:

Picture of the reverse. Actually two of these came in the group, both cased but the second one is missing the ribbon and maybe not quite as nice. Will post pictures of the group when I get a chance. His last name was Cole, 1st Lt during WW2 (or at least a few pieces of his gear are marked that). Not sure if he won it or something he acquired, he passed in 2010.

By the way, if you are in the Dallas area, there is an original Air Mail MOH on display in the American Airlines Flight academy. It is in the lobby of the academy right behind the AA museum. It is not in the actual museum itself. It was donated by the widow of the recipient. I do not remember the name, but he was an American Airlines pilot. I think two AA pilots were awarded the medal. Next time I am in there, I will try to remember to take a photo and post it. It does have the citation with it and it is displayed over a small mirror so that you can see the back.

Someone is going to be very lucky when they win this. Consider the number awarded and the one in the Museum plus the two just found. I would bet their were less then 50 ever made, just a hunch. None seem to have been numbered. Are ANY named? 4K up is my guess. Good luck bidding! For once RARE is correct!

That medal is so stunning that I am almost tempted to put a bid in myself. I have to keep reminding myself that I am getting OUT of the WWII medal collecting arena.

On a related note, my recent research on this medal turned up this piece of trivia. The Air Mail Flyers Medal of Honor in the possession of the National Air and Space Museum (part of the Smithsonian) was donated by the US Postal Service in 1958. The Air Mail Flyers Medal of Honor was approved by Congress on Feb 14, 1931, and award of this medal was retroactive to May 15, 1918.