WWII stenciling and the ink/paint used?

avigo

Hey guys.

Maybe an odd question.

I'm curious what type of paint or ink was used when servicemen and women in WWII would stencil their equipment? Was it different for clothing/duffle bags vs other personal gear?

I am working on a project that involves stencils and I would like to use paint/ink that is historically correct if possible.

Thanks so much!

Bud Lauer from the 907 GFAB told me about their tac symbols, "We had a guy in the unit who could paint. He made a pattern from heavy pasteboard, like a magazine cover." That is a quotation. I also know 2/327 helmets were brush-stroked with "jeep" paint @ Mourmelon because compressors had not arrived from England.

RustyCanteen

I'm moving this to the 'Reenacting Groups & Repro Gear' subforum, where it will better fit.

Just an observation, some collectors do not like the idea of 'replicating/reproducing/copying, etc' period markings in an 'authentic' way. They feel it is all a little too much of a grey area, since at some point it is too close to the real deal. I don't know if that will affect responses to your query or not, but it could.

• 7 months later...