Navy pin back rate

Bill

Found this Navy or Coast Guard PO3, pin back, 1 1/4" H x 1 1/4" W, today.

There are no markings or hallmark.

I've never seen on that was all Gold. think.gif

Any guess as to when worn? Value?

Thanks

Bill

post-1455-1220320958.jpg

post-1455-1220320966.jpg

These were worn on your ball cap, I don't think it ever was official wear just tolerated. It started to fade away when we adopted the CG shield above the chervon and then just wore an extra colar device in place. I had gold up through PO1. The Navy was more prone to wear the silver.

While stationed in Okinawa in the 70's and being a bit rebellious I wore a red enameled star and a fishing fly on my ball cap. The XO would look at them and just shake his head.

collectsmedals

In the Navy gold was for 12 or more years of continuous good conduct service.

I used to see PO1 (E-6) ranks in gold once in a while, and I have seen a couple of PO2s (E-5) in gold but I have never seen a PO3 and its hard to imagine having 12 years of continous good conduct service and still being an E-4.

In addition to wearing them on our ballcaps we would wear them on the collars of our utility or deck jackets.

In the Navy gold was for 12 or more years of continuous good conduct service.

I used to see PO1 (E-6) ranks in gold once in a while, and I have seen a couple of PO2s (E-5) in gold but I have never seen a PO3 and its hard to imagine having 12 years of continous good conduct service and still being an E-4.

In addition to wearing them on our ballcaps we would wear them on the collars of our utility or deck jackets.

Never occured to me that was the reason for the gold. When I made PO3 I bought a gold one and wore it till I made PO2. I don't know if I still have them, still have the PO1. Of course we of the Hooligan Navy took liberties with things back then - Ah, the Old Guard, those were the days. w00t.gif

Never occured to me that was the reason for the gold. When I made PO3 I bought a gold one and wore it till I made PO2. I don't know if I still have them, still have the PO1. Of course we of the Hooligan Navy took liberties with things back then - Ah, the Old Guard, those were the days. w00t.gif
These were worn in the 1950s and 1960s. My Dad had one on a ball cap from then. The color had no significance at that time as brass was the color worn by all (this whole silver/pewter thing didn't start until the uniform nightmare of the early 1970s). Tho silver ones of the 70s are larger and have clutch backs. For PO 2 and 1 Navy, they make them with brass chevrons for the twelve years good conduct. But this one is an oldie from the "Before Time". Like personalized belt buckles they were not regulation, but as has been said, tolerated, until they became standardized and regulation (and therefore no fun any more).

Steve Hesson

A

These were worn in the 1950s and 1960s. My Dad had one on a ball cap from then. The color had no significance at that time as brass was the color worn by all (this whole silver/pewter thing didn't start until the uniform nightmare of the early 1970s). Tho silver ones of the 70s are larger and have clutch backs. For PO 2 and 1 Navy, they make them with brass chevrons for the twelve years good conduct. But this one is an oldie from the "Before Time". Like personalized belt buckles they were not regulation, but as has been said, tolerated, until they became standardized and regulation (and therefore no fun any more).

Steve Hesson

A

Thanks for clearing that up Steve. I have two of these (both 2nd Class), while one is bright & shiney and looks new, the older one is tarnished and has a pin back, but really has that "been there" look to it. When I was USNR back in the early 70's, the only ones I saw & used were the silver clutch back style. Now I know the story behind the gold ones.

Just to add to Steves comments the first picture is from an Aviation BM on the Wasp in 57 and the second are a group of devices from the 60's.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot that somewere in this mix are the rank pins like the gold ones or the later silver are the enameled ones with white eagles and red chevrons.

post-2723-1221531989.jpg

• 9 years later...