WWII 6th Marine Division Uniform - Named

lakenormanusa

lakenormanusa

Hi! I have had this beautiful 6th Marine Division uniform for many years and decided to post it to see if anyone can provide any information about the owner. His name is written in the inside shoulder, Jack Randle JCR. I would like to obtain as much information as I can find to put with it. Thanks for taking a look!

Rick

post-125711-0-56956700-1457953814.jpg

post-125711-0-41358300-1457953826.jpg

post-125711-0-89821700-1457953836.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

He was in G Company, 2nd Battalion, 22nd Marines, BUT he was a replacement. G/2/22 was a famous outfit for those who were in it from the beginning of the battle at Okinawa. However, Randle was there only as a member of the Garrison Troops for a few weeks and then went back to Guam. This is per a Footnote in the Ancestry.com muster rolls. The original men of G Company were the first to make an assault on Sugar Loaf Hill, taking horrifically high casualties [many both dead or wounded].

lakenormanusa

He was in G Company, 2nd Battalion, 22nd Marines, BUT he was a replacement. G/2/22 was a famous outfit for those who were in it from the beginning of the battle at Okinawa. However, Randle was there only as a member of the Garrison Troops for a few weeks and then went back to Guam. This is per a Footnote in the Ancestry.com muster rolls. The original men of G Company were the first to make an assault on Sugar Loaf Hill, taking horrifically high casualties [many both dead or wounded].

Hello and thank you for the information. Does this mean that Randle wasn't a combat vet?

Were his PUC's and PAC's awarded soley for him being a member of the unit who saw no action?

ViewfinderGyrene

Hello and thank you for the information. Does this mean that Randle wasn't a combat vet?

Were his PUC's and PAC's awarded soley for him being a member of the unit who saw no action?

Hard to say, he could have been involved in mop-up operations, I'm not aware of the exact criteria for awarding them.

belleau_woodsman

Great looking uniform!! I am still looking to get a 2/22 uniform in my collection